Top decks...

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Over the last couple weeks, I’ve gotten a few private messages, here and there, from people asking for deck advice, cuts to make, etc.  Unfortunately, I’ve been unable to post here until now, due to someone temporarily banning me (with absolutely zero explanation).   Awesome Move, whoever you are,  No way that was an egotistical power trip!

Anyways, I’m back now and after having some time to play with all the decks,  and digest the new format a little, Here is my take on the best decks…

I began by recording results of worst match-ups.  Playing through the decks (and recording results) I started to look at which match-ups were statistically giving me the hardest time for each given deck. Then an interesting pattern arose:

1.  Jace  worst match-up  Chandra
  2. Nissa  worst match-up  Chandra
  3. Soren worst match-up  Chandra
  4. Sarkhan  worst match-up  Chandra
  5. Chandra  worst match-up  Garruk
  6. Koth  worst match-up  Garruk
  7. Gideon  worst match-up  Soren
  8. G/U  worst match-up  Soren
  9. Tezzeret  worst match-up  Soren
  10. Garruk  worst match-up  Soren

With that said, the three best decks would be: Chandra, Garruk, Soren.  These three decks also form a Rock, Paper, Scissors effect among themselves, which is probably the reason the game is so well-balanced. 

I had initially suspected Chandra and Soren as being 2 of the 3 best decks when I first unlocked all the cards.  Garruk, on the other hand, surprised me.  Now Garruk may seem weak, in that he is the best choice against only 2 decks.  But the fact that he beats Chandra is really significant.  Also many of his other match-ups are pretty solid.   I get the impression that when they set out to make this game, they really applied some thought in making Mono Green good this time around.  I’m also predicting that when they do start hiding the opening deck selection (which they will), “Little kid Green” will emerge as a powerhouse player, and possibly even the statistical best deck.  

This is entirely my opinion, based on my own observations and experiences…

Flame away!

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

I'm sorry but your data is heavily skewed.  Although some decks have an advantage over others this advantage often relies upon specific cards being played or using a tactic that can exploit another deck's weakness, such as aggro or evasion.  You keep talking about how great Garruk's deck is yet you neglect to mention it lacks any removal, and is extremely weak against fliers.  Heck, it does not even have any Naturalize cards so once a few cards are in play it could easily be game over.

Also, sometimes letting damage through is the best strategy for a given deck as it means you can now counter attack.  Such is the case for playing Chandra against Garruk as her creatures lack toughness yet have significant power by being pumped.  Again, your opinions seem rather limited considering that personal playing style makes a huge difference in how a specific deck will play.  Even worse, a deck might get decimated one match due to being land starved/flooded or lacking the proper cards while the next it could be downright godly.  In the end there are far too many variables involved.

For the record the top tier decks based upon the general consensus on the Wizard's forums are considered to be Jace's Realms of Illusion, Gideon's Wielding Steel and Sorin's Blood Hunger (for the crazy amount of removal alone).  Chandra's Unquenchable Fire is not far behind however and Kiora's Ancient Depths has too much potential to ignore but neither are top tier.  Keep in mind that all of the decks are fairly well balanced but the rest seem to lack any diversity in their tactics as most are straight aggro or simply lack card synergy.  Machinations suffers from auto-land tapping and the inability to adjust your land values, as does Sarkhan's Dragon's Roar.

Of course, all of this will change after the first DLC is released.

not going to flame.   As an engineer with some background in collecting data i am having to say that your data is skewed to your playstyle/deck build.      while i agree you can't change the decks much you can alter them noticeably and different people will have different experiences...was your chandra deck identical to the chandra deck you played against?  was your opponents skill with the cards as good as yours........unless you played with friends with identical decks the data is only part of the picture...i think it's a step in the right direction however.        i'm starting my own analysis but I am going to use it to tweak my decks and just look for weaknessess in my own playstyle rather then the decks..

interesting stuff though..

[quote user="XboxHatesMyPoo"]

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Over the last couple weeks, I’ve gotten a few private messages, here and there, from people asking for deck advice, cuts to make, etc.  Unfortunately, I’ve been unable to post here until now, due to someone temporarily banning me (with absolutely zero explanation).   Awesome Move, whoever you are,  No way that was an egotistical power trip!

Anyways, I’m back now and after having some time to play with all the decks,  and digest the new format a little, Here is my take on the best decks…

I began by recording results of worst match-ups.  Playing through the decks (and recording results) I started to look at which match-ups were statistically giving me the hardest time for each given deck. Then an interesting pattern arose:

1.  Jace  worst match-up  Chandra
  2. Nissa  worst match-up  Chandra
  3. Soren worst match-up  Chandra
  4. Sarkhan  worst match-up  Chandra
  5. Chandra  worst match-up  Garruk
  6. Koth  worst match-up  Garruk
  7. Gideon  worst match-up  Soren
  8. G/U  worst match-up  Soren
  9. Tezzeret  worst match-up  Soren
  10. Garruk  worst match-up  Soren

With that said, the three best decks would be: Chandra, Garruk, Soren.  These three decks also form a Rock, Paper, Scissors effect among themselves, which is probably the reason the game is so well-balanced. 

I had initially suspected Chandra and Soren as being 2 of the 3 best decks when I first unlocked all the cards.  Garruk, on the other hand, surprised me.  Now Garruk may seem weak, in that he is the best choice against only 2 decks.  But the fact that he beats Chandra is really significant.  Also many of his other match-ups are pretty solid.   I get the impression that when they set out to make this game, they really applied some thought in making Mono Green good this time around.  I’m also predicting that when they do start hiding the opening deck selection (which they will), “Little kid Green” will emerge as a powerhouse player, and possibly even the statistical best deck.  

This is entirely my opinion, based on my own observations and experiences…

Flame away!

[/quote]

I have to respectfully disagree with some of that. I wouldn't call it flaming though. The thing I disagree with the most is Garruk being anywhere near good. Koth's hardest match-up is most definitely not Garruk. Claws of Valakut (a horrible card but insane in this match-up) on any creature wrecks Garruk. I believe Garruk's hardest match-up to be Kiora. She ramps faster, has better creatures and has some control cards where Garruk only has Serrated Arrows (which doesn't cut it vs Kiora). Gideon's worst match-up is easily Nissa. Trust me on this. Gideon can't destroy creatures and Nissa is tribal based which means only tapping down and arresting creatures won't stop the benefits they give each other. Not only that but Nissa has 3 ways to handle artifacts (Argentum Armor) and 3 ways to enchantments (Arrest). On top of all that Nissa has multiple ways to handle Baneslayer Angel (I believe 6 ways). Chandra while good vs Gideon can still lose to the occasional Sword of War and Peace. Nissa doesn't care about Protection from red. Finally, I'm also going to say as a Chandra player primarily I believe it's a 3 way tie for her hardest match-up. Koth, Kiora and Garruk can all give her fits if played correctly. It's also how you build and play Chandra. I'd say Kiora is the hardest for my build (I don't play Sizzle and Lava Axe).