Too Human

After watching the killing video, I was so hyped for this game, and a major let down once I played.  Was anyone else caught by the hype, or did you/do you enjoy it? 

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Have some flaws but i love it.

Low expectations.  And that is exactly what I got from playing the game.  And that death scene.....never have I seen a death sequence so many times.

Yeah X-Men Destiny looks like a new take on the X Universe.  I got to visit SK and play the first level with all three characters and all three power sets.  I hope to get my impression on SK.net before Comic Con it has to be ok'd by SK so I don't break my non disclosure agreement.

[quote user="Purple Gryphon"]

Interesting opinions.  I will reveal my bias as I am the admin on http://www.siliconknights.net forum it is dedicated to SK and was built around TH and has become SK's official forum.  I have loved TH from day one.  I still play regularly and have a lot of people from the forum that I play with who have logged more hours than one can imagine.

[/quote] Awesome, welcome to our forums. 

[quote]

As to the controls being ahead of there time, well they are not original has many games have two sticks control a popular one is Geometry Wars.  SK's failing with the controls was not have a proper tutorial and room where people could practice.

[/quote] Perhaps but I have to disagree. I played the game from start to finish and I still dislike the controls. Geometry wars is not a 3D hack and slash game. I cant think of any other 3D hack and slash with this type of controls. I feel I have had enough time going through the game and unlocking many of the epics to know that I just don't like the controls

[quote]

People hate on the camera but with the control scheme there is no other option

[/quote]

I wanted to stop this quote right here. This is a short coming in many programmers, artist, ect. "no other option". This no other option idea is on a foundation on an idea that the game "cant live without". So you are almost saying "We know the camera sucks but its to gain a really "awesome" control scheme (that turned out to be not so awesome).

I remember the old Tech TV where they would interview these rich business men and women. Asking them about their day to day decisions. One woman worked at crest (or some other toothpaste company). They created a new toothpaste bottle that they believed it would be 100* more easy for a user to open. They put it in a case study with a 100 people. None of them could open it easy. So what did they do? Scrap it. Maybe for the user who invented it it worked well for him/her. But the masses could not figure it out. 

Much is the same with this control scheme. Maybe one guy said "Wow this is really cool!" But did SK do case studies? If so I can promise that they were not agreeing with this choice in scheme

[quote]

and I don't think the game would have played well with buttons as the buttons do other things.  

[/quote]

Those other things must not be that important because I honestly dont remember what they did. I remember using my right joystick to hack and my left to move around. That was the main actions of the game

[quote]

A lot of people failed to realize that you could force the camera behind you by pushing the left bumper.

[/quote]

When you are playing suck a game you dont need the camera just behind you, you need to see all around yourself. And the "failed to realize" goes back to my toothpaste example above. If the majority of people are "failing" on your product then your product is at fault...not the majority of people.

[quote]

Also I found that a lot of people I played with did not know the camera has about 7 different settings.  At the furthers zoom you almost can't get attacked from off screen, not that I have seen it much outside of rocket goblins but you should take them out first anyway.

[/quote] 

I remember these settings and I never felt the farthest setting was any fun to play on as you miss alot of what is going on if I remember correctly. I could be wrong. I would have to play again

[quote]

Deaths,  If you keep up with your armor rating as you level you really should not be dying that much

[/quote]

I just flat out disagree. The majority of people were dying. I remember when my mothers computer power button broke and the sales person said "Well you should not need to use the power button once it's on". I laugh at that to this day. Yes with no tutorial, with a lot of other things lacking, people will die, and die often. 

[quote]

unless you are a berserker or commando and not killing fast enough they are glass cannons.  I might also be use to dying a lot

[/quote]

It could be. but there you admit that you do die a lot. Or at least the possibility is there and you just dont notice it

[quote]

as I have played all the Ninja Gaiden's (the last one actually has the same 100 deaths achievement, i got that one very quickly).  I had 5 level 50 characters before I got it on Too Human.  The Valkyrie scene is over hyped.  It is really not long compared to most games loading screens.  At least it varies a bit compared to seeing the same loading screen a thousand times.    I know Ninja Gaidens is longer and don't even talk about Mass Effect (but you don't die that often).  If you actually record it the time is no more than 20 seconds, 30 at the max in some areas.  It tends to be longer if you die on lower sections than you respawn.

[/quote] 

It depends on the game, on ME2 I hardly died, I never played Ninja Gaiden so who knows. For me it depends on how often you die/the worth of dying. In Too Human deaths were frequents and drops were few. So few that the way most people got their items was by the duplication glitch. playing the game legit would take so long with very few rewards. 

This model is almost like an MMO however you dont have the other benifits of an mmo. Like the massive multiplayer part, the community, the huge auction houses, the side quest. So with all that added into factor frequent deaths stin more because there not enough rewards to make up for it. 

TLDR fast hack in slash should have less deatsh (and short annoying death seq) as there are less rewards than big mmos that also punish you for death

[quote]

As to the lawsuit. You can see a lot of the court documents on the first page of siliconknights.net .  The judge has sent the case to trail so SK has some merit.  Most people think SK is suing BECAUSE Too Human did poorly.  But SK filed the lawsuit about a year before TH shipped and is suing EPIC for not delivering a working engine when they had promised in the contract NOT that the Unreal engine is a bad engine.  

You also can't assume that no developer had problems with the engine because they did not sue.  I remember pretty much every early Unreal game getting delayed and the PS3 games took like an extra six months to a year to ship.  So something happened.  Also can't say if that was on EPIC or the developer though.

Kudos if you read all of this but essentially if you want help with TH the best place to visit is SK.net as their is a helpful community there that will help you get what you need.

[/quote]

Everything you said there has truth to it. But in the end none of us really know what  happened behind the scenes with the lawsuit. As for visiting the SK.net forums. I am not sure if your forum rules are the same...but on xbox.com they don't allow you to advertise other forums here. You can post it on your sig though! and do I get a prize for reading everything ;)

I actually enjoyed it, I avoided the hype for the game, so I went in with low expectations... and found it a lot better then I was expecting!

I loved it too, I would have played any sequel.

I loved it

So the person who runs Silicon Knights official forum and gets previews of their forthcoming games thinks Too Human was a good game. Well if that isn't a fair and unbiased opinion we can trust then I don't know what is.

With most games I don't like I can usually see what others enjoy about them. Then there are others that I just can't understand why anyone would like them. Too Human falls into the latter there.

Repetitive environment, dull level design, dodgy controls, guns that don't do squat, voice acting that would be rejected on a soap, animation that makes Thunderbirds look life-like.....argh, I could go on forever.

In the end it all comes down to personal opinion. I'll never know what people see in Too Human but I have to accept that they do enjoy the game.

Silicon Knights official response is they still plan to make a sequel. They are still dealing with the lawsuit with unreal though and it's one of the reasons they claim is holding them back.

www.vg247.com/.../us-court-allows-silicon-knights-to-sue-epic-over-claims-of-incomplete-unreal-engine-3

I think the lawsuit is bogus.  but there you have it. What do I kno since I am not behind the scenes. I just find it strange that no other developer before or after had problems using the unreal engine.