Tomb Raider - Definitive Edition (First Impressions Review)

REPOST FROM UK XBOX FORUM

Just thought I'd write a little after downloading and playing Tomb Raider - Definitive Edition last night.

It truly blew away my expectations and I consider it to be the FIRST next gen game I have played on my XBox One.  From the opening scenes I was hooked by Lara and the beauty of the island where you have arrived at.

Gameplay seemed simple enough for me and I quickly picked up the controls and which button did what thanks to the great on-screen help you are given.

I stumbled upon a crash site (Optional Tomb) and really enjoyed working out the puzzle that ensued as I set fires to bring down the crashed plane to allow my accesss to the Tomb.  Fell from height a good few times but never died which is a blessing when games to have reload after a death.  One of my first WOW moments as to my surprise Tomb Raider loaded back to playable in about 5 seconds.  You can go make supper waiting for Ryse Son of Rome to reload so this is a great addition to the game.

I can't wait to get home from work to put Lara through her paces as we search for our fellow survivors and best friend Sam.

Loaded up multi-player to have a quick look in there and it looks stunning, allowing you to not only shoot your enemies but to set traps for them also.  Really looking forward to playing a bit more of this also and a video in the "Extras" section is worth watching to help you along.

The best £45 I have spent since the XBox One Launched.

Square Enix take a bow.  Next Gen is finally here

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 7 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

To me it almost seems too pretty.  On the 360 there was a slight element of grittiness that really matched the scenario.  

And is it just me or is her face different now?

they did a whole new Lara for this game . I think the game looks superb .

Check out the videos in teh Extra's section of the game menu.  Shows a lot of the development work

I got a 91% complete.  The developers did a great job! This is a real gem and a constant great time playing through it.  I didn't want it to end!

This game is about as perfect as it gets.

I hope there are not a lot of those QTEs in the game.  I am not a big fan of those.   I do like the game but it does not tell you when the game is saved.   I know when you are at a camp site it saves it but is that the only place?    The graphics are gorgeous, and the gameplay seems pretty smooth and easy to control (except for the QTe's in the beginning which were a bit of a pain).  

It more or less saves all the time.  You never have to back that far.  Maybe a minute of gameplay at most

I have the disk just got digital £22

This game is great.  It has puzzle elements, shooting bad guys, surprises.  The scenery is incredible.  You really get the sense you are high up.  I like the way they made the controller vibrate when you are in windy areas.  Nice touch.   The Fast travel was a great idea so you can go back and explore areas you missed instantly.  

Hey Fisthisface, is that a pun?   Square Enix take a bow?

I forgot to add there is also a story to the game, not just exploring and shooting bad guys.