To Wield, Or Not To Wield!

I've played Skyrim and Oblivion before, so I understand that YOU create your own person and play your way.

But I honestly want to try and switch things up a bit, so I'd like anyone to answer this question.

I normally play as a sword/shield wielder, but I wonder..which do you think would be a good class to play as for someone as "normal" as me?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

A good class? Not sure if I understand what the exact question is. I think you might want an answer like this though: if you're a pure melee player generally, then swithcing to just another type of a melee weapon could be some change. Use one handed normally? Then switch to two handed. Due to not having a shield you need that heavy armor then. Another thing I liked personally was mixing in more sneaky archer gameplay. I don't recommend switching to mage if you only want to try things a bit. Mage requires such a different gameplay style you'd have to devote lots of time to really master that playstyle.

I used to be pure combat play style, that's all I did in Oblivion, other than requirements for leveling and achievements... In Skyrim, I started mixing stealth stylings into my gameplay, and I really enjoyed it, now it effects all the RPGs I play. I`m a stealth/combat mixed fighter in all my RPGs now.

Best way to find is is experimenting, use a weapon (or spell) that you wouldn't normally use and give it a try. Sometimes we fail to realize how broad the Skyrim experience is when we limit ourselves to one playstyle.

[quote user="Theory Of X"]

I've played Skyrim and Oblivion before, so I understand that YOU create your own person and play your way.

But I honestly want to try and switch things up a bit, so I'd like anyone to answer this question.

I normally play as a sword/shield wielder, but I wonder..which do you think would be a good class to play as for someone as "normal" as me?

[/quote]

I'm similar to you in that I usually prefer the Sword/Shield style.

I have really enjoyed both the Two Handed Warrior (Sword was my preference, but really up to you) and Stealth Based Rogue that used Bows and dual wielded Long Swords. Obviously, the Rogue was far more of a departure then the 2H Warrior, but you might have fun with one of those two options.

Of all the characters I made, I think my Rogue was the most powerful. Even just wearing non customized armor (Nightengale) she was untouchable by the end of the game.

If I have one complaint about Skyrim it would be that there wasn't enough variety in Magic to make me want to play a caster. Just my personal opinion.

Go ranged assassin, nothing more satisfying than watching your arrow fly into some poor souls brain from 100m+ away.

Generally, my first playthrough on an RPG of the Skyrim style will always be bash and slash. I find it most satisfying and can actually be more challenging when you just rush into battle.

(I worked on Smithing / Archery / Restoration perk trees)

2nd PT is either Mage or Stealth / Assassin stylie.... which is a completely different approach to the game and can get quite intense when going through dark and dingy dungeons.

(Destruction / Enchanting / Archery / Sneak perk tress)

3rd will be stealth (archery and dual wield most likely)

will work on the Conjuring / archery / sneak / speech perk trees for this one... may do a bit of smithing too - havent decided yet.

Each of the above styles will require different approaches and its almost like playing a new game each time.

Fear thy Waffle is spot on. if you restrict yourself to your most comofrtable style, you do risk missing out on many of the games variety.

Tried most of the usual character builds and styles. I liked the battle mage the best. Right now though, I'm a Khorne Bezerker with dual Chainsaw swords!

I suppose it all depends on what you find most enjoyable playing. I prefer sneaking around and using ranged attacks (Archery). I invested in sneak, archery, pick-pocketing, enchanting and smithing.

Everyone is pretty much suggesting trying to mix stealth into my gameplay..and I finally started playing Skyrim, and did just that.

I still fight with a sword and shield, but I use the bow A LOT more than I ever did, and it is freaking awesome!

I'm not great at sneaking (although today I've started showing improvements) and I must say that I am loving the bow.

I find it enjoyable seeing the arrow hit someone from far away.

Thank you everyone for the answers, they were all fantastic and helpful  XD

P.S. What armor type would you recommend since I am mixing up my gameplay?

I have heavy armor now, but I wonder if medium or light armor would prove more efficient.

You sneak A LOT better when using light armour, so if you're trying to be a master thief, light armour's probably where you wanna put your money!

P.S. there is no medium armour