Tip: Playing Original Xbox Games on Modern 360

So I recently purchased a new Xbox 360 HDD for my old Premium since my 20GB was getting WAY too full. I swapped everything out and so far everything worked great. That is, until I tried to play an Original Xbox title from disc. I tried Halo 2, Mechassault 2, DOA, and I kept getting the same error every time: "The game couldn't start. Try downloading the game again." I contacted an Xbox Ambassador and the dude was awesome, but totally stumped. We then got a logic chain going and I theorized that if I swapped drives again and hooked up my old 20GB to it. It INSTANTLY allowed me to play old-school games and I was able to re-play EVERY Original Xbox game that I had. I would recommend passing this around to every gamer you can think of that still plays the old games and has this issue.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

Support, Please advise.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

[quote user="Eisenfaust88"]

So I recently purchased a new Xbox 360 HDD for my old Premium since my 20GB was getting WAY too full. [/quote]

Where did you buy your hard drive from?  If it was from the likes of eBay and was nice and cheap, it's a fake drive.  Yes it will probably work fine with 360 games, but you won't be able to play original Xbox software.  Fake drives are missing the emulator software that allows the 360 to run original games, it's also probably missing vital 2GB reserved for backwards compatibility too.

Basically, you've been had.  The only way to play original Xbox games on a 360 is with an official Microsoft hard drive.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.