Time Warner - Black Screen except on 720P

My Time Warner Cisco DVR will not show anything except a black screen with the TV app unless I switch the output on the cable box to 720P.  Then it works.

I found that via this article, Solution 2.  It's obviously a common issue for a 24hr old product.
http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/live-tv/poor-video-performance

So I see lots of other comments on the forums where the ask is to flip to 720P to test.

My question is, why?  It works, super duper, but now I'm at 720P versus 1080i.  Can someone explain why this number is used to test or as a workaround?  Time Warner offers several manufacturers of DVR's - is there some specific feature or spec it needs to have to work successfully that I should research?  "Needs to support HDMI Spec GOOBER4321" or something ? 

Thanks!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Hey BigSackofCats, good question. 1080i content is interlaced, which requires more processing by the Xbox One to de-interlace the content and display it to the user. 720p content is "progressive" (non-interlaced) and is therefore among the easiest resolutions that can be shown.

PM on Groove Music, formerly worked on OneGuide, TV, and Game Streaming on Xbox One.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for this.  So, this still leaves me at 720P though - other than randomly swapping cable boxes should I be asking for a certain feature that will improve compatibility at a higher resolution?

I'm going to send my info per this thread:
http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/xbox_one_support/f/4277/t/1626555.aspx

Sorry this didn't help.

Although you would think that 1080i is better, 720p often looks better.

Sorry this didn't help.