This Helped My Game Freezing/Lag Issue

Not really freezing but just awful lag when I opened a chest, urn, or barrel.

It would also happen when pressing the d-pad for the favorites menu.

My quick fix was to clear the system cache and delete some old game save files but this only lasted for a gaming session and would soon return.

Then I found them. Dwemer Museum Keys. Thousands of them!

It turns out that there is a bug that is constantly replicating these keys.

Check your key inventory. Ditch these keys ASAP. Your game will play so much better.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Interesting find. I'm not having any problems right now, but if I have any I'll toss them. Thanks for the tip.

Thanks for the heads up about the keys. I am always looking for multiple items in my inverntory but never thought to check the keys.  Great tip.  

When it comes to the save files, I keep about 5 on rotation.   Once you get any higher than 10-20 it will also slow down the game.

I've noticed having too many items in any single chest will cause the game to lag while you are looking thru/depositing/taking items out. Having multiple chests to store your loot, or multiple house's helps. Again. Ive only noticed the lag while looking thru the chests, not during game play.

[quote user="hooray84"]

I've noticed having too many items in any single chest will cause the game to lag while you are looking thru/depositing/taking items out. Having multiple chests to store your loot, or multiple house's helps. Again. Ive only noticed the lag while looking thru the chests, not during game play.

[/quote]

The Fallout games had this issue as well. I know that at least on New Vegas, they highly recommended against keeping everything in one chest. The game ran much better if you spread your loot out among different containers. I never thought about rather or not this effects Skyrim, I use different containers just for the sake of ease. One for crafting stuff, one for apparel, one for weapons, etc. When I put everything in 1 container I can't find anything.

i forgot all bout that

Oh and to get rid of them, I placed them on a dead body (the bodies eventually disappear). Do not store them in a chest or drop them.

ok ill do that

thank you so much i had 40000 keys. My lag has gone completely.

I"ve been checking on the key thing. Haven't seen more than 3 of any. I do clean out my storage every now and then. Save it up and then go sell it all at once. Too much stuff does slow it down. Having more than one home does help with the travel but not every town has the right merchants with the money. At one time I had 86 bows in my dresser.

Nice find, I haven't had any problems as of yet but I'm going to check to my keys and see.