This game is how I thought Fable would be...

Now with the new interview, hearing that you can get married and that people will fight with you... it makes me realize that this is how I always wanted Fable II to be back in the day.  This is the REAL Fable.  Peter just explained Skyrim's world in great detail when trying to convince us to buy his game, that's all.  He did a great job!

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I'm extremely happy Moulinieux... Molinieu.. (that Peter-guy) doesn't have anything to do with Skyrim. The Fable-series is dead to me.

No, that's not what I'm saying.  I don't like Peter either.  What I'm saying is that he told of a truly living world in which you live an adventure of a man (or woman) who does such GREAT, marvelous things.  And the possibilities of the world are endless!  Peter spoke of Fable 1, saying that you could actually listen in on other people's conversations.  Peter  talked about compassion, companionship, the ability to do what you please, handling situations how you wanted to, etc.  In Fable II and III, you could even get married!

None of those qualities really turned out to be all that great for Fable.  The game was just meh...

But TES... You can do all those things in a truly HUGE world.  The possibilities are out of this world.  THIS is how I expected Fable to be.  

Think you are expecting way too much of Skyrim.

The AI will be nothing more than a tweaked Radiant AI from Oblivion, which is hardly a huge advancement than what Fable had. Really, if you look at how the NPCs acted in each game, they are pretty similar.

Again, in Oblivion the NPCs where just names walking around, they had no personality at all, and since not once has any news about Skyrim mentioned improving the NPC's in that manner, don't expect any major changes.

As for the new relationship aspect... that is a mystery. This is the first time Bethseda has tried it, so if history of trying new things, by game developers hold any weight... It won't be anything to write home about. And once again, not one mentioned on any improvement to speechcraft, or NPC interaction period. So any going in, don't expect marriage to be any less shallow than it is in Fable.

Oblivion was awesome.  It was absolutely amazing.  It's still the best game on the 360.

"Again, in Oblivion the NPCs where just names walking around, they had no personality at all, and since not once has any news about Skyrim mentioned improving the NPC's in that manner, don't expect any major changes."

Do you live under a rock or are you just an idiot?  Bethesda and Todd Howard have talked a lot about how they improved NPCs, giving them jobs and routines, having a bunch more voice actors, allowing them to interact with things that you drop, and getting into fights at taverns.

And that is different from Oblivion? NPCs had routines, certain ones ran the stores/bars/inn/etc... They did pick up loose items on the ground. None of that is new. Oblivion was their "revolutionary AI" game, from everything I seen from Skyrim, it is the same system but with a new coat of paint.

Also, standing for a set another of hours behind a counter doesn't make them any less wooden, nor is having them walk to the same locations every day at the exact same time, over, and over, and over again. Having a job or picking up stuff from the ground is not a personality.

[quote user="ELzDIABLO"]

"Again, in Oblivion the NPCs where just names walking around, they had no personality at all, and since not once has any news about Skyrim mentioned improving the NPC's in that manner, don't expect any major changes."

Do you live under a rock or are you just an idiot?  Bethesda and Todd Howard have talked a lot about how they improved NPCs, giving them jobs and routines, having a bunch more voice actors, allowing them to interact with things that you drop, and getting into fights at taverns.

[/quote]

I'm sorry, are you an idiot?

Anyone that buys into the crap that developers say while a game is under development is an idiot. Todd, Pete, and all the rest of the talking heads at Bethesda said loads of crap about how Oblivion was going to be the most amazingly deep game ever made, and how it's complexity, combat, and story would put Morrowind and other comparable games to complete shame.

If you have two working brain cells and properly working eyes and ears, it's pretty obvious to collect that didn't happen.

TES has never been good at handling NPC complexity. And, to be frank, that's a sacrifice you really can't avoid when you make games as large as the ones that Bethesda makes. If Todd and Co. were to actually spend the time and effort to make the NPCs as deep and complex as real people, without stripping time from other elements of the game, we would be lucky to see this game released by 2015.

"Oh but they have routines and jobs murpaderpahurp!"

So? They had those in Oblivion. OH THEY CAN INTERACT WITH ITEMS!1! Yeah. I expected that. It's a natural step up. Not something I'm jumping damn hoops about. As for fights in taverns, so far that's only confirmed to be fights with you. No word on fights with each other. That would be surprising.

Get off the hype wagon. All that'll lead you to is disappointment or blind fanboyism.

Oh please, Lord and Master Taldarin, do enlighten us lesser beings as to a game that DOES have AI complexity on a grand scale?

If you read his post you'd see he was being rude to Starscream and taking his assumptions about how the game is going to work as facts when none of us have even played it. I'm not going to play nice there. It's better to assume that the AI is getting minor boosts, rather then running around telling everyone the AI is going to the most amazing ever.

To answer your question, there really isn't one. At least not one that has solid, realistic, Human AI. Games like L4D and Halo however do excellent jobs with the AI on aliens/zombies. L4D's special infected AI can get downright crazy tactical. I've also always remembered the ducking and weaving Elites pulled off in the Halo games as well. Especially Halo 2. But no game has ever done a great job of doing realistic AI for human characters. Oblivion wasn't impressive. Everyone did the same thing almost everyday with a few exceptions here and there, that's not realistic. That gives plenty of "life" to the game, sure, but if you pay attention it's far from having realism. And honestly that's not a crime, I mean, it'd be pretty hard to code AI for realistic human behavior when every single person is different. If you're looking for realistic day-to-day human behavior in a video game, you aren't going to find it. And I should have made that more clear in my post rather then singling out TES, but it's not any less true.

I'm sorry you're throwing the sarcasm at me, I've never had a problem with you and we're usually on the same side of the fence when it comes to opinions.

youre wrong, this game WILL BE THE BEEZ-NEEZ!