This game and religion. A simple discussion...

I have just recently started playing this game and after only completing the first hour, or so, I'm dying to sit down with someone of a Christian faith and have a little discussion about it. I'll be honest, I'm actually a Mormon and I was wondering if there are any other Mormons or Christians in general that either felt weird about this game, loved it, were offended by it, etc.

I think the game is great so far. I was a die hard fan of the first and I love the way how it feels like Bioshock 1 and even has a similar story, while kind of being the complete opposite of the first. What I mean is, Andrew Ryan was an atheist-anarchist that created a doomed community with his views while in Columbia the leader is a religious extremist and "patriot" to America that has also created a doomed community. It's done so perfectly well just like I thought it would be. However, I feel like the sequel could be a bit more touchy for a lot of people. I'm just interested to see what others think or feel (looking for a discussion, not an argument and especially not a Bible-bash) so just let me know how you feel, hopefully coming from a religious background.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 8 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Also, admins, if this is against forum rules, please let me know and I'll delete it. I'm not trying to start a separate religious debate or anything, just comparing real life to Bioshock: Infinite in a way.

I wasn't offended. Pretty much processed it as issues that have always been visible in society, overlapping from time to time and reaching across all the fabric of life. I found it familiar, interesting and ever present but I never lost sight that I was playing a very evocative game.

I am a Christian and conservative and loved Bioshock Infinite. Faith and political ideology isn't what is exposed as bad, crazy or evil in Infinite, but rather flawed human nature and the extremes therein.

Since you haven't finished the game yet, that's all I'll say.

Haha cool those are both really good points and I totally appreciate you not spoiling it. That's the way that I felt about it as well. I like the way they portray the extremism and I thought it's totally well done. I can't wait to see the rest of the game cuz so far I'm totally blown away by the mysterious atmosphere of it all.

Be sure to let us know what you think after you finish it.  As I said on another thread, it’s one the best games I’ve ever played, if not the best. I have a hunch, contrary to what might be expected, that people of faith and perhaps even those who are historically/politically savvy, appreciate the depth of the story and how it’s told, and illustrated - both as a mental exercise and at the heart level, even spiritual overtones/concepts (if one sees them).

Except for the guy that was given a refund because he wouldn't allow himself to be baptized so he could enter the city. He said it was blasphemous and his faith wouldn't allow him to continue.. I thought it was funny that he had no problem virtually murdering hundreds of people in the game.

I think the racial theme was heavier played than the religious one. I just ignored them both. I don't take my moral lessons from video games.

There were no moral lessons...it's a game

Ever heard of Aesop's Fables ? They were just children's stories. Or were they ?

The game wasn't trying to sway or convince you to change your views, so I don't understand why you chose to ignore them.