Thinking about building a PC; any experice with "barebone" PCs

My laptop is almost five years old and seem some harsh use. I thinks its just about had it, so I'm considering a new PC.

I was thinking about building one since it would be the cheaper option (I and I would like to get into PC gaming), but I'm a bit gun-shy since I haven't tinkered with upgrading a PC since the 90's.

I came across the idea of a "bare bones" PC- missing only a processor and ram/graphics card as a compromise to ease myself into working on a computer again (it would still be cheaper than a premade retail PC).

Anyone had any experience with these barre bones PCs?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

check cpubenchmark for performance specs on cpu. I'd stay with a mini tower. Least amount of footprint but still room for everything. Case cooling isn't as much of an issue as it used to be. AMD cpus are generally cheaper, but even the intel (low end) i3 is quite the workhorse.

You should move this over to the windows live section your going to get better help.

Previously known as Win7Xbox 360

Yeah, some quick research pretty much confirmed that most of these "barebone" systems are low end junk not too far ahead of my current laptop. I think I might just need to bite the bullet and build a new PC from scratch...

Doesn't hurt the pocketbook like people think. A stronger PC means you'll be itching for a replacement much later, thus saving money later on.

Decide what your budget is. Then start researching motherboard, cpu, psu, ram, graphics and case. Then decide if you want to upgrade the the stock cpu cooler. Add in HDD and OS. (Keyboard and mouse and monitor as well if you dont have them already to tide you over)

-

Then research retailers some more, you may find better for cheaper, i did.

-

Took me almost a year to get all the parts for my desktop.

-

But so worth it. (although i already want to change the graphics card, damn you Nvidia for bringing out the 600 series)

-

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

I have already moved to a decent PC for gaming.

[quote user="BlackSilverAce"]

Yeah, some quick research pretty much confirmed that most of these "barebone" systems are low end junk not too far ahead of my current laptop. I think I might just need to bite the bullet and build a new PC from scratch...

[/quote]

Word of advice if your on a tight budget your better off using AMD products. If your into performance and your willing to spend more then you should go with Intel.

I recently made some upgrades to my PC when the new Ivy bridge processors launched.

My setup:

Intel Core i7 3770K Processor @ 4.2 GHZ

Antec Kuhler 920 Liquid Cooling

16GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3 Memory

(X2) MSI GeForce GTX 670 OC 2GB Graphics SLI

120GB Mushkin Chronos SATA3 SSD

2TB 7200RPM 64MB SATA3 HDD

22x DVD/CD Writer LG

750W Antec 80 Plus Gold PSU

Cost: $2275.00

This is not really necessary to play the latest games. You can build something much cheaper but this is what I wanted.

Previously known as Win7Xbox 360

[quote user="LOL AT UR SKILL"]

[quote user="BlackSilverAce"]

[/quote]

Word of advice if your on a tight budget your better off using AMD products. If your into performance and your willing to spend more then you should go with Intel.

I recently made some upgrades to my PC when the new Ivy bridge processors launched.

My setup:

Intel Core i7 3770K Processor @ 4.2 GHZ

Antec Kuhler 920 Liquid Cooling

16GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3 Memory

(X2) MSI GeForce GTX 670 OC 2GB Graphics SLI

120GB Mushkin Chronos SATA3 SSD

2TB 7200RPM 64MB SATA3 HDD

22x DVD/CD Writer LG

750W Antec 80 Plus Gold PSU

Cost: $2275.00

This is not really necessary to play the latest games. You can build something much cheaper but this is what I wanted.

[/quote]2x670's, damn dude, that must look the nuts. Nice. 

a good cheap build

Core i3 2130 - about $130

AMD 6850 - $150

hyperkingston X blue 4gb ram $30

a decent motherboard = $100

PSU raidmax hybrid 730W is like $70

any 500gb HDD at 7200 RPM will be fine they are like $70

DVD drive ( don't get blu ray its a waste) is like $15

thermal paste for the cpu is $10

don't need after market cooler, overclocking is almost pointless, plus the i3 isn't unlocked.

this build will play BF3 in 1080p probably at medium settings or better.

I think the best thing for you to do is research.

/

I will say this.  I have a GTS 250....and it still runs current games at decent settings.  ME3, Diablo3....THE ONLY reason I'm upgrading in the next few months or so (unless I can hold out) is b/c the money I saved up for a high end GPU wants to be spent sooooo badly.