The we hate Loading Time thread

Don't you agree? Back then on the nes/snes we hardly every had any load times! Do you think that most games are more ahead than the actual system? Graphic technology moves, but not the hardware. PC however does stays actual by updating yr videocard or ram and so on.

I've played a few games with so much load screen that it doubles the gameplay. Actual gameplay 40 hours, but with loads 60 hours. Yay or nay?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 14 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

You should have tried playing the C64 or Amiga. You'd realise just how good it is nowdays!

the spectrum 48 or 128 used to take about 10 minutes to load each game and half the time they failed in the last minute so you had to start over,you even had to wait for the tape to rewind.

this was a typical loading screen that you had to sit through every time you changed games.

[View:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIa8_VoW0Lk]

I like loading screens. They give me time to smoke a bo--Uhh! Grow as a person. lol

If a modern game takes a while to load there's usually a good reason, like it's full of content and awesomeness.

[quote user="capcom23"]

it doubles the gameplay. Actual gameplay 40 hours, but with loads 60 hours. [/quote]

Your math teacher must be proud.

Loading times come from the system needing to read the data of the disc.   Cartridges from the NES era were able to access the data directly making it much faster.   However, the cost to produce them, plus the wearing down of the gold connecting pins is why we no longer have them.  

Icestorm III or Nielo TM can give a much better, more tech enhanced explanation if they come around, but that's the gist of it. 

Start installing games to your hard drive. Simple.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution on the Xbox 360 has some pretty horrendous loading times.

I love my PCs SSD. I've been playing ME2 on the PC and you know how you have to load between different floors of the Normandy? I always hated that since after every mission I go and talk to each party member.

-

So the first time I go on the Normandy and go to engineering to talk to the Scottish guy and the woman who work down there. I get in the elevator, pick the floor and the loading screen literally flashes up for, at most, a second before I'm on that floor. I couldn't believe how insanely fast it is.  

-

I would expect the new xbox to have a mandatory HDD on all SKUs to really take advantage of this. HDDS aren't exactly expensive these days so I'd hope MS have considered this at the very least so devs can take advantage of the HDD and help push loading screens to mere seconds.

SSDs are pretty damn awesome.

Unfortunately I only have a 64 gig (cost over $100 USD still) as my boot drive.

As least my computer boots in under 10 seconds so I'm happy with that.