The team behind the multiplayer is making ME4

An Update From BioWare Montreal | BioWare Blog.

The single player of ME3 I found to be dire, in all aspects and not just the ending.

So the news that the team behind the only good part of ME3 is going to be developing the fourth title has caused my interest to be renewed a little.

Frostbite 2 being the game engine they were building it on was always going to be an obvious choice, EA are bringing the game completely in-house rather than licensing the engine from someone else. An easy transition to make now you don't have to import the look of Shepard.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

This doesn't make me feel better. This actually makes me feel much worse.

It'll be nice to see a Mass Effect game fleshed out on the Frostbite 2 engine instead of the Unreal Engine, it will look and operate pretty different if anything.

My hope would be that it would come out as a launch title on the next generation of consoles as I personally see no reason to start this new supposed trilogy on the current generation where the architecture and technology is aging more and more and then switch halfway through to the next generation whenever it comes out. Given that Microsoft wants the Xbox 360 to last a 10 year cycle, thanks to the Kinect boosting its longevity, that would be around 2015 and I don't know what Playstation's plans are.

So it may be perfect timing given that BioWare Montreal has just basically started planning and setting things up for the next Mass Effect game and that gives them around 3 years of development if things go accordingly. Now I don't expect that to happen as they could very well just release it on the 360/PS3 for example, I just would rather see it on whatever comes out next for obvious reason. The PC is irrelevant as it changes constantly and isn't restricted like the consoles are.

As for the game itself and what they're planning for it, the following quote makes me intrigued but I also know in the back of my head to not trust or rather read too much into quotes made months if not years prior to release given what happened with Mass Effect 3 and considering nothing is certain or set in stone until you actually play the game for yourself.

"You can still expect the pillars the franchise is known for to be fully intact though, including diverse alien races, a huge galaxy to explore, and of course rich, cinematic storytelling."

I'm all for another trilogy similar to the first one as I'm still a ginormous fan regardless of the sour taste Mass Effect 3's single player left, of which would still be the main draw for me, no matter what they may or may not do with the multiplayer side of things. The prospects and potential to follow starkly different avenues are limitless given the scope of the universe, and all the different races and stories you could tell from their perspective.

Now I still would like it to stick to the more traditional RPG side of things with regards to customization of your character, immersion that comes from influencing the game world depending on the actions you make where this time it has more impact than how it actually ended up in ME 3, and maybe even return to a stats system that actually directly influences how well or not so well you handle certain powers/abilities and weapons while in combat depending on your level and what you've invested into like in Mass Effect 1, as I still find it to be my favorite iteration of the system. I know that last one isn't likely given the changes they made but I can still hope right? ^_^

If it's just a TPS with storytelling elements like your average action game then I wouldn't be nearly as interested if at all. That's just me though and given the direction the franchise was taken I have my doubts but we shall see in the coming months/years how it'll turn out.

Thanks for the bit of news though vote.

I hope it comes out cross platform so I can get it on PC and I hope it starts fresh so I won't need my save file. I know that's a tad selfish of me but I don't think I'll be getting the next xbox unless things change.

I think Bioware has already said on multiple occassions to hold onto your save files.

Yeah I heard that before. My hope is really that your save doesn't matter much or that you can select key points to simulate a playthrough when you start it up. I just don't wanna be locked into playing on a console that will probably be crap.

i think the whole "hold onto your save files" stuff is what intrigues me the most.

gives me a glimpse of hope that multiple endings might make for a more interesting 4th game. not that the 3rd wasn't good. i liked it and loved the ending.

[quote user="Pyramid Head15"]

[/quote]It makes me wonder if ME 4 will have a double meaning in the title, The 4th game and 4 player co-op campaign.

[quote user="Tatakai no Kami"]

[quote user="Pyramid Head15"]

[/quote]It makes me wonder if ME 4 will have a double meaning in the title, The 4th game and 4 player co-op campaign.

[/quote] If you asked me a few years ago, I'd totally be up for a dedicated Mass Effect title that was like Borderlands.

I just don't care anymore.

I'm open minded about it. After what I've seen 343 do with Halo 4. Creators (being human) sometimes lose sight of a vision and it takes others to carry it through for them.

No point judging this move until we see what they make of it. I'll remain cautiously optimistic.