the map and navigation

so i've noticed something slightly lacking in every preview i've read or seen, and that is any acknowledgment of the map and how it works. i'm curious as to how it navigates, if the arrow cursor is the only way to move the map like it was in oblivion or if you can move the map without the arrow and zoom in and out like in fallout. i really hope they don't go back to the oblivion map, i truly despised it and it stops me from going back and playing again. the only time i saw the map, they just used the cursor to move around and i'm a bit nervous.

and left out completely is any thought of a local map description. i hope they didn't remove it, it was the only way i got out of many caves and metro tunnels in oblivion and fallout respectively, but they've said that they're putting rivers and stuff to navigate caves so they might've just removed the local map to save time and resources. since the world map is basically a satellite view of skyrim, could the local map be a birds eye view?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Loving the map system. Hope it stands up to what i expect from it.....

from a screen of the world map, it looks like there is zooming and marking your own waypoints, along with being able to snap to your current location so that's cool. looks like you can also go straight to your journal through the map. and it looks like the icons are pretty similar to the oblivion markers, i think your icon is a long arrow kind of thing if that is what i think it is. still looking for a screen of the local map.

remember Morrowind? there were satellite view maps on the web which definition was incredibly cool.

I didn't mind Oblivions navigation. I would have liked to have zoomed out more, but it wasn't a big deal to me. Skyrim's map navigation looks really well done compared to previous games, and even other games on the market.

I just want the game in my hands.

it looks like pressing right or left on the d-pad goes to the hot-key items and spells, left for items and right for spells?, or is it left for the left hand equipment and right for right handed use? i wish they would release the hd video walkthrough on psn and live, it's a bit tough to see much detail on youtube.

What I want more elaboration on is if you hotkey items to certain hands. Because in the demos, they just switch. So I am guessing that when you hotkey an item to the D pad, you also choose what hand it goes to. But it would be nice to hear that....

I kind of miss the journal layout of previous bethesda RPG inventory/maps, I hope the quest log will still be like that. It is interesting how skill trees are star formations and whatnot though

so the world map and local map changes depending on if you're indoors? interesting.

@wall, i know, i'm trying to figure out how it navigates, whither by the cursor alone or however it might work.

oh, and i hope you can still mark your own waypoints, those were immensely helpful for the knights of the nine quest and finding the shrines

Caves, Dungeons, Etc., all those have the standard local maps (they're black and white now). I'd show you the screenshot with that in it (it's from TGS), but it wasn't exactly legally taken so you'll have to wait. Google is your friend though.