The magic circle

Please, please, please can somebody help me. My daughters xbox keeps breaking her games. It makes perfect circles on the actual game disc, which leads to the games not working. This has happened to four games now, one which we brought brand new and was played for about a week, another for 2 days and the other two on the same day the games were opened. I have tried taking them back to the shop but they said that as the Xbox made the circles, they would not replace the games. Does anybody have any ideas on how to fix/prevent this from happing  this is getting very expensive now not to mention very disappointing for my daughter who saved up £50 of her own money to buy Fifa 12 on the day that it came out.

Thank you 

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Is your xbox straight up or on it's side? They like to advertise it sitting vertiaclly, but really it's a bad set up. If it's straight up, lay it on it's side. Make sure that it is right side up though.

-

This also happens if you bump your xbox even a little bit while the xbox is playing the disc. Set it in a very secluded area where it will not have the risk of being bumped.

Reply emma smart To *** Email address is removed for privacy ***

I have the Xbox laying on it's side but I guess maybe it wasn't in a secluded place, smh. Thank you so much for taking time to reply. I don't suppose you have any tips on how to get the games working again????

Thank you again and I hope you had a good Xmas

I had this happen to one of my games. If this happened to 5 or so games of yours you can go out and buy a disc resurfacing machine for about 100-150 bucks. I'm not sure how well they work, but it seems like they would.

-

I had this happen to one of my games when I accidentally set my xbox up upside down. I brought the game with the scratches into the local video rental store and they resurfaced it for a dollar. You can always try that. Make sure to rent a copy of the scratched game if possible while you're there. That way you can install the disc to your hard drive and the disc only needs to spin half of the time when you play it. I can explain it further in depth if you'd like.

Yes please if you don't mind. I'm not that clued up on game consoles, lol :0)

When you insert a disc into your xbox's disc drive and play it, normally the disc is required to spin constantly to read it. When you install the game, the disc does not spin regularly. This reduces wear and tear on both the disc and the Xbox 360's disc drive.

-

When you go to your Xbox 360's dashboard while the disc is in the drive, hover over the game as if you're about to push the "A" button to play it. In the bottom left hand corner there should be a little message that says "Y for options" or "Y to install", I'm not 100% sure which it is. Anyways, push that button and a menu will pop up and one of the items will say "install to hard drive" or "install game", again, I'm not sure what it really says. Let it install (yes, it may take a couple minutes), and now when you play the game you will be playing it from the hard drive. BE WARNED, this does not mean that you do not need the disc. The disc is still needed when you play it because the xbox must make sure that you have a copy of the game.

-

What does this have to do with me renting a copy of the scratched disc you might say? Well since you rented the same  game that (hopefully!) has no scratches on it, you can install the clean game to your hard drive and even if your personal disc does not work alone, it may now work because the disc does not need to be read in all places since you installed a clean version.

-

I'm sorry if this is confusing, I tried to explain it as clearly as possible.

No that is great, thank you sooooooo much. I'll try it and let you know if it works. Thanks again :0)

good idea but what if the xbox makes the magic circle on the rented disc?

It shouldn't if s/he took my advice and readjusted his Xbox 360.

oh right ok

Lol, I didn't even think about that. I'm in London so wont be able to try it out until wednesday, we have boxing day on 26th and then a bank holiday the day after :0)

Will let you know as soon as I've tried it out and I'm a girl/woman lol.