The Logic of Skyrim

Trek into a dungeon to find a verse; duke it out against Olaf one-eye with a ghost bard at your side. Skyrim, turning fetch quests into epic adventures.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

There aren't many fetch quests in Skyrim that don't slip into Indiana Jones territory starting from the Golden Claw. I love it that way. The last book Urag wanted sent me to Solstheim where I could pick it up while solving a problem for the folks at Raven Rock.

After all the Hero stuff is done and out of the way. I guess you could say that. But! I have over 600 quests completed. What other game has offered me that? One that I can actually play that is. I really suck at third person. Possibly when the new gen machines come out and we can start playing Destiny? I have had so much fun on my "Epic" adventures some would say I need to get a real life.

"There aren't many fetch quests in Skyrim that don't slip into Indiana Jones territory starting from the Golden Claw".

Fetch me some Mammoth Tusks.

Fetch my father's sword.

Fetch some flawless sapphires.

Fetch some Fire Salts.

Fetch some Frost Salts, from the same city no less.

Fetch a gold ingot, a sapphire and some other crap.

Fetch 20 Nirnroot, 20 Deathbell and 20 of something else.

20+ random jobs for the Thieve's Guild, all of which are fetch quests or thinly veiled as something else.

Some are fine, like the Golden Claw quest, but there are a lot that really are quite tedious or outright pointless :S

Many of those fetch quests seem purposely designed to take you from one end of the land to the other for wide spread fast travel locations. I kept a journal of the fire salt locations on my iPad on my first build and did the Fire Salts quest for Balimund early on and as uninterrupted as possible, in this build, traveling to most of the same areas as I did in my first go. A couple of those salt locations varied, and random encounters with conjurers  summoning Flame Atro's will yield salts as well. Once done I had a fairly wide net of fast travel points cast. Not to mention Balimund's eternal gratitude ... I'm quite welcome there. :)  It still took a long time...

Gathering the  Stones of Barenziah in one fell swoop would do the same thing, but would take even longer, even consulting the wiki. Still, Skyrim is a gorgeous place to wander, despite dragons, thieves, assassins, bears, vampires, snow-cats, trolls, thalmor, around every corner.

Bob, you just love to cast in pebbles to see the waves, don't you? I kind of regarded all the quests in Whiterun as tutorial in nature. Bringing frost salts to Arcadia teaches you that doing favors will earn rewards over a thank you and gives an early source of some rarer alchemy ingredients for free. The father's sword takes you to a beginner level bandit lair. As Geddy says, many of the item quests take you all over the place and as an early quest can be dangerous. I guess i take a more laid back attitude to many of the misc. quests. I don't care if they ever get done or not, though fire salts for Balimund and Ice Wraith teeth and bear pelts all count towards being thane in the rift and are better than chopping wood or picking potatoes.

[quote user="The Lady Bastet"]

Bob, you just love to cast in pebbles to see the waves, don't you?

[/quote]  Humorous analysis, yet dead on!!  Kudos.

"Bob, you just love to cast in pebbles to see the waves, don't you?".

Massive fan, but I wasn't trying to. I was just pointing that out :P

I do appreciate your response though, explaining why you don't mind those quests/don't view them as simple fetch quests is interesting.

And besides, do you remember what a huge pain in the derriere finding flawless sapphires is? Of course, after I finished Berenziah's Crown for the only time and got the reward I could pave the yard in flawless everything.

Speaking of fetch and grab, there is a beautiful view just outside Whiterun. The bandits that the Jarl's Steward sends you after and that several guards warn you about. Can't remember it's name right off hand but you take out the Bandit Chief at the very end of the cave as you step outside a rear entrance. Jump up on that rock above his chair and tale a look around. I can simply say the view of Whiterun is amazing from up there. Just found that last night. lol.

My best view of the town occurred when one of those giants west of Whiterun  knocked me about 500 ft into the air. The view was spectacular, but short lived.