The Future for Xbox 360 Avatars?

Since that fateful update, our LIVE connected consoles have been host to our avatars. Not everyone shares as much a love for them as I do. To some, it takes away from hardcore gaming and makes it more "Childish"  that it use to be. With the release of Kinect, this believe continues, but that's besides the point. My point of this threat, is the future of our Avatars. It is inevitable that Xbox will eventually advance forward onto a new console. One question that is posed, is whether or not the Avatars would be born anew on this console. Would they die away to give way to a new device or means of interaction? I for one hope not.

Now I know the comparison between the Xbox 360 and PS3 is always a topic of hot debate, I have noticed one item of the PS3 interface I would like to see in a similar setting on the 360. The Playstation Home. It may not be enjoyable for all, but what it was to me was a world were my Avatar could roam and interact with others. Unfortunately in this case I found no soul behind it. There was places to go and people to see, but I felt no connection to my character and I felt there was very little to do.

What does the Xbox have for Avatars to play in? Several Indie games, The Game Room, Avatar Kinect, a few others of note, but nothing huge. I have seen an expansion in upcoming updates but I still crave more. In each instance I feel trapped and bound to do what I can in the limited space. What I really want is to truly play my Avatar.

I want to go be able to go out into the world and do thing. Why not connect the services? As I wander through this virtual world, I decide to play some arcade classics so I head over to the Game Room, which is a place in this cyberworld.

What about other Avatar games. They could built arenas for Avatars to race in, or play various sports. With the combination of controller gameplay and Kinect, there is much that could be done. I could take forever to speak about the possiblities but why not open it up.

Opinions? Thoughts?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

[quote user="J Veris"]

Since that fateful update, our LIVE connected consoles have been host to our avatars. Not everyone shares as much a love for them as I do.

[/quote]Finally, someone understands! <3

I used to have an idea about a virtual world on Xbox Live were XBL Avatar could talk, hang, chat and play, that includes somewhere where lonely avatars wouldn't be alone anymore like they are on the Dashboard with only a prop.

crazy there is a reason YOUR avatar is lonely but i wouldnt mind actually having a virtual world for the avatars like PSN home. i dont see how it could make things worse tbh people who dont want it dont actually have to use.

It's a nice idea, and a dream which i imagine alot of gamers share, the idea of an avatar world is apealing.

But as you said yourself "Not everyone shares as much love for them"

I say get rid of them. They're simply vessels created by Microsoft to make people give them more money. It was already bad enough that we had to purchase gamer pictures and backgrounds as well.

To be honest, I doubt enough people would use it for it to be worth the effort for MS.  Look at Home.  Its terrible.  Barely anyone uses it.  Its laggy as hell. It probably cost Sony far more than it was worth.

Avatars will likely be around for the next Xbox console.

Though some may not agree here, but many like making a second persona and give it "physical" [digital] features.

The central idea behind a virtual world would be to kinect (get it?) the various avatar centred games and what not they have launched. Sure, you could still access them seperatly from the games hub, but they could combine all the avatar games into one by adding a virtual world hub that allows you to travel between each game and interact with people.

I think more AAA arcade titles should use them. Games like Crash Course that you play with your friends so everyone can see your avatar.

As long as Microsoft lets me keep my deadmau5 head on the next console, keep the avatars. If they don't, death to the avatars.