The Audacity, the Weapon DLC for GoW3

I can't believe the audacity of Epic/Microsoft to charge for the weapon skins for Gears of War 3. Something that simple to create for the game should be included on disc. As a matter of fact, they are, and the DLC is just unlock codes. I can't even believe how much they are charging. $3-$4 for a single weapon. And up to $45 for every single skin. Just rediculous! Yes, I know I don't have to buy it. Heck, I never even planned on buying Gears 3. But it is methods like this that make me fear where the market will turn next for games.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

the way they are releasing "special editions" of every game is the sign of things to come.

releasing dlc as the game is released is just a joke,its content that will actually already be on the disc you bought.

people will always buy it though,thats the problem.

Reminds me of the SPECACT guns from BC2.

If people wouldn't buy it then there would be no reason to sell it. Epic and MS are in the business to make money and if people are willing to spend money on something like this then I can't blame anyone for charging for it. You don't have to buy it and if you want compaines to stop doing it then people have to stop buying it otherwise they will keep doing it. I really can't say anything because I bought the "Horse Armor". LOL

The problem is that they know they can do this because they know their hardcore fanbase will buy them. To be honest with you, I might buy one, two or a few. If I see a weapon skin that I like, I just pay 240 MS points (or 320 if it is an animated skin) and I get it. Essentially, it is exactly like buying a gamer picture or an avatar item. I definitely will not buy all 21 weapon skins for 3600 ($45) MS points though. That is just dumb.

[quote user="Manhandler"]

The problem is that they know they can do this because they know their hardcore fanbase will buy them.

[/quote]I see what you're saying, but no... that isn't the problem. When it comes to video games, the "hardcore fanbase" of each respecting game or franchise is miniscule compared to the broader scope of the video game consumer. Even Halo and CoD. Miniscule. this includes Gears of War 3. There are those people who are going to buy it regardless, but the bulk of the dlc transactions and the dollar amount seen by them aren't necessarily from the hardcore fans.

[quote user="THEOWENKILLER"]

people will always buy it though,thats the problem.

[/quote]And this, more or less, is the problem. The people. In my response to Manhandler, I labeled the people buying the dlc as consumers and not gamers. That's because few people who actually buy and enjoy video games today, do I consider gamers. And no, I don't consider casual gamers as gamers. And why should I? The industry is suffering and too many people point the blame at the publishers and developers. They are companies in an industry for money making. Too many idiots victimize themselves to the industry and that has changed it in the past few years. They only make cookie cutouts because thats what the consumers want. They only do the cheap tricks of DLC on disc already, because thats what they want.--The idiots. the casuals. The non gamers. The consumers. There is little actual gamers can do since we are in the minority now. We're the miniscule. Well... I am. Don't know about you two. I would certainly hope my words are from one fellow gamer to another. That goes for anyone else who is bothering to read this.

Rant and rave all you want. If you feel buying skins for your weapons makes you a better player, makes you feel cool, whatever, have at it! If you complain about the price, NO ONE CARES!  If someone spends $45 on weapon skins, fine. It's all about profit,  kids with dad's CC on file are going to be the ones buying these DLC's, and then dad will be complaining to xbox.   It's the individuals choice to buy any DLC, the price is listed before you purchase. No ones fault but your own if you buy.  

I REALLY MISS the old days of gaming when you got a game, you didnt have to worry about all the crap going on now......wow

I think it's audacious too. Seriously, 240 a pop?!? And all of them for like 4000 points? It's disgusting, I paid for the limited edition of the game, and they expect me to fork out another $50 for weapon skins? I KNOW I don't have to buy it, but they are not generous at all. Here in Australia, it's actually $60 Australian for all the skins. Almost the same price as the game itself. $60 Australian equates to $70 US at the moment. What a joke.

It all started with the 'Horse Armor' simple as that.

I bought a couple of the skin packs. But almost $40 for all of them?

Seems quite a rip off to me.