Texture Issues?

Has anyone else noticed the textures loading right in front of you or the generally low res textures?

For reference, I'm playing on an HDTV (720p) with HDMI and the game is fully installed.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 9 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I have an HD TV too and HDMI without the discs installed so that could be worse but anyway I am having the same issues with Textures, it seems you have to walk closely and look directly at the textures for them to load properly.

Yep, VERY noticeable.  But for me I don't really care.  The frame rate is so smooth so I am fine with it.

Havent really had any of these issues you guys have.

the texture pop in is acceptable in my opinion.  The 360 is ancient tech in the big scheme of things, and 512 MB of RAM is just not enough to have it load in faster.  PC's that have 6 gigs of RAM still see it, but its crisper and faster.  Borderlands, Mass Effect and even Call of Duty (thats why there is a countdown before MP matches, so textures can load) are worse than this.  I do agree that some of the environment textures are really bad.  For example, books, phones and the like in the Sheriff's office in Wellspring.  Its pretty pathetic.  But overall, the outside looks fantastic.  The vista's are beautiful.  

I notice the texture pop-ins all over the place, a great game by the way (on ps3).

I've been playing for quite a while. The texture pop in is really bad at certain parts of the game. Also the texture are some times really poor quality. Mostly the environments. Character textures seem to load fine and almost always look good. Danumus you're and idiot the 360 natively renders the game at 720 regardless of what resolution you choose to display it in. The textures are not any different.

The poor texture quality in parts might be due to the fact that your TV only produces a resolution of 720p. I just got a new Samsung Series 5 LCD a week after Gears 3 came out, and the picture going from my previous Samsung LCD that did 720p, versus my new LCD which is 1080p, is night and day. Most people wouldn't think it's that big of a difference, but it is. If you're not matching the resolution it was made for then you're already downgrading the experience even before the installation to your HDD is considered.

Keep in mind that I have yet to play Rage, I'm not an expert, but I'll see what kind of issues I encounter after work. Maybe the 360 just can't keep up with their engine.

Personally I think the game looks great, some texture loading isn't a make or break thing for me in a game so it doesn't bother me at all. Borderlands had the same thing going on so I'm pretty much used to it. I wouldn't say that id dropped the ball, it's just the way their engine works and the fact that the 360 is running on five year old tech means you're going to notice it much more than if you were playing on another platform. It just can't be helped. Also RAGE is rendering far larger environments than what Crysis did, so the two can't really be compared.

[quote user="FEARecon"]

I just got done with the first mission and while I did notice small things here and there that were loading in I haven't seen anything big that pops in and the environment seems very detailed to me. Maybe you're just being too investigative with every little detail. You have to remember this isn't the PC version and there is a massive amount of scenery etc. that the engine has to render so over all I'm impressed with what I've seen so far.

[/quote]

Crysis 2 on the XB360 is able to render much more detailed environments with less pop-in/texture loading than RAGE, and RAGE is using id Tech 5, a supposedly much more advanced game engine.

There's no good reason RAGE looks the way it does. The PC version has the same problems, regardless of your specs. id really dropped the ball.

I just got done with the first mission and while I did notice small things here and there that were loading in I haven't seen anything big that pops in and the environment seems very detailed to me. Maybe you're just being too investigative with every little detail. You have to remember this isn't the PC version and there is a massive amount of scenery etc. that the engine has to render so over all I'm impressed with what I've seen so far.