Tape on game disc?

hey all, I have cod world at wars that is getting a crack in the middle of the disc. they game still works but i was wondering if putting a small amount of scotch tape on the middle clear part be a good idea? or could it mess up my xbox s?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 44 Applies to:

Hi Austin,

As an official recommended fix, I say no.  The best thing to put on the ring are the tape rings similar to what you can put on pages you put in a binder to keep them from tearing as easily.  I don't know where you would get them, but that's what I would suggest.  

Another option would to just be very careful with the disc and make sure you don't force it in and out of the case.  I've noticed that some games come with cases that brake the rings much easier than others.  

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

If you use anything, only use it on the top of the disc (where the label currently is). Otherwise you would risk readability of the disc. But as the previous post suggests, this wouldn't be an official recommendation for a fix.

If you find that this is happening with multiple games, you may want to use an alternate storage method, such as a DVD binder, or go with a retailer that offers extended guarantees on discs.

Sorry this didn't help.

Never attach anything with adhesives (stickers, tape, etc...) on a disk an use it in your xbox or computer.  The warmth inside the device could cause the tape to come loose and then you can end up with sticky gunk ruining the inside of your xbox, which would not be covered under warranty for repair.  NEVER DO THIS.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi AustinT54,

I'm afraid it sounds like you might need to replace the disc. We really don't recommend putting tape on the disc and if you fear the disc breaking while in use, then that could cause even more trouble and damage then the game is worth. For this issue, a official disc replacement would really be the route to take. Hope this helps. Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.