System Music Player not finding contents of large Windows 8.1 Libraries

This is has been explored in previous posts with no solutions or recent posts, so I will revive it.

I have an Xbox 360 with all update. I have a Windows 8.1 Pro desktop and a Windows 8.1 Pro laptop. Both are set to stream media to all devices on the local network. From each device, I can see and play the contents of the other devices libraries from Windows Media Player.

When I launch the system music player, it immediately finds the hosted libraries on both computers. When choosing a library, it tries to load one of the lists (Albums, Artists, Playlists, Songs, Genres) for a long time, until it states that it found none. Both computers have a library of >6,000 songs. When these computers had Windows 7 Ultimate, there was no trouble finding the contents of the libraries in the Xbox 360 system music player. One forum poster noted that he spoke with someone inside Microsoft who reported that Windows 8 was not completed at release and that it had problems broadcasting large libraries. The poster put a limit around 400 songs. I then emptied my library and began to add songs a few at a time. I was able to see and stream the contents of the libraries in the Xbox 360 system music player when the library was small. When the size of the library reached around 800 songs, some of the categories (Albums, Artists, etc.) could not find the contents. As the size of the library increased to over 1,000 songs, the remaining categories were unable to find the contents of the library.

So, this issue has been widely experienced by users for over a year. There has been a major update to Window 8 and a sizable update to Xbox 360, yet the issue persists and has gone unrecognized by MSFT, who continue to parrot nonsense lines about Xbox Music and Play To. Has any user found a solution to this or is MSFT finally willing to step up to the plate and work on the issue?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 7 Applies to:

Amen! Come on MS

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hey there, here's what worked for me:

1) Install Zune desktop client and make it the default music player on your windows 8 machine

2) In the Zune desktop settings/collection make sure all your music locations are included.  If not, add them.

3) In the Zune desktop settings, click on "xbox 360" and make sure sharing is enabled with your xbox(es).  I found it helpful that I renamed my Zune collection to something distinct from my desktop collection (as explained in step 5).

4) At the bottom of settings/collection, click "manage separately" and click "continue" when asked.

5) Don't change anything in the next screen, just go to the bottom and click "align libraries" or whatever it said.  This made my Zune rebuild it's entire library based on all the available music files.  It took a few minutes, but after it was done I could now see my PC's music library (which had been renamed to the Zune collection name I chose in step 3) in the system music player and it works just like it did when I had Win 7 installed on my machine!!!

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Mr Kathnelski - that worked for the most part!  The only thing that doesn't work is Playlists. Trying to select Playlists from the Xbox System Music Player results in blank screen with a message about how the connection has been lost to the PC.  Do Playlists on the 360 work for you with the Zune configuration?  Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, my playlists do work with the Zune/System music player combo.  I do get the "connection lost" error from time-to-time, but I just reboot the xbox 360 and everything goes back to normal.

Sorry this didn't help.

Good post. This is actually the first time I was able to find someone actually detail the music streaming issue from Win8./81 to Xbox 360 issue out loud, for lack of a better term. Never though of trying to install Zune and sharing it out that way.

I personally wound up just coping my library to a different pc running windows 7 still (my son would NOT allow me to install Win8 when I built it 6 months ago, good thing now, in hindsight), and the pc and it's music contents were available for streaming immediately, with no performance impact on the Windows 7 pc hosting the music.

Sorry this didn't help.