Surprise! A region issue...

I recently moved here from the US to the UK and I decided to treat myself to one of your on demand titles, specifically GTA IV. Unfortunately I was in the wrong region. I read your sticky bulletin on how to correct this and came across one problem: You can only change your region if you're in the area it's set to already.

Doesn't this defeat the purpose of changing regions?

So I jumped through all the hoops to get my credit card on an account in the correct region. Yay! All my problems are solved!

Nope. Turns out, when you change regions you also change from NTSC to PAL making any and all attempts to purchase and download games an absolute waste of my time.

At this point, I'm feeling irritated, aggravated, infuriated, and all of those other aggressive emotions. I'm not buying another Xbox. I just want to purchase your games. Is this really that hard?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 14 Applies to:

@ngocphi "ntsc and pal usually only applies to physical discs  and original xbox games not games on demand"

See, that's what I would've thought. But when I attempt to make the purchase, I get this message: "This game's region does not match this console. It won't be downloaded, and you have not been charged."

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

you don't pal and ntsc signals are set in stone as they are tv signals

but you can create an uk account or migrate to uk but you forfeit some if not all region locked content from the US

This is the disclaimer that chat support gives you:

You can only switch regions to an already supported LIVE region. You can view this list here. Please make sure you read the information on the bottom in regards to account migrations.

You have chosen to migrate your Xbox LIVE account to a new country. You should be aware that certain Xbox LIVE content, features and functions may vary depending on your location, due to licensing limitations provided by specific providers. In order to proceed, you must confirm that you have been informed of and fully understand the consequences of the migration of your Xbox Live account:

Microsoft reminds you that the migration of your Xbox Live account will have the following consequences:

Some of the services and content that you are currently benefiting from in the country originally registered may not also be available in the country you are willing to migrate to.

All of your current subscriptions, except for Xbox Live Gold if you had any, will be cancelled.

You may lose the ability to re-download some, if not all, of the content in your download history.

Any content that you will subsequently download after the account is migrated will be subject to any applicable geofencing rules of your new location.

Note on Geofencing: If you bought something in the country you originally registered in that wasn't geofenced, it could be that it will be if bought again, in your new location. These geofencing constraints depend on the license to distribute that Microsoft was granted by the content providers.

Please note that the migration process can take up to 6 weeks. During this time your account will not be available. No refunds will be given for any content that is lost during the migration.

ntsc and pal usually only applies to physical discs  and original xbox games not games on demand

Sorry this didn't help.

@ Naksta, you didn't bring your console with you did ya? Did you buy one in the UK?

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!

Sorry this didn't help.

How did you get past the PAL/NTSC nonsense?

Sorry this didn't help.

I see. That's why you are having problems. I bought my system when I moved here. Well that explains it then. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do other than have games sent over from home. You might have to stick to physical copies of the games.

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there guys! The issue is not with formats, but the region of the account versus the region of the content. The region of the account, region of the content, and your physical location all need to match, otherwise you may run in to issues purchasing.

Naksta: in order to change the region of your account, all you should have to do is contact phone support and they'll be able to assist you from there. Please let us know how that goes, or if you have any questions about it. Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

I hear ya.

-

I moved from the US to Ireland. I made a silver account here in Ireland. I use that account to buy things like games and dlc with a cc or points card. Once I download it, I use my US account to play those games etc. I never had an issue and I have been here nearly 6 years.

Please note that it doesn't work for avatar items. 

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!

Sorry this didn't help.

I danced around that issue by making another account and everything matched up. It just changed from not being available in the region to not being available on the console. But that's alright. Steam is having their Autumn sale and that'll be more than enough to keep me occupied in my downtime.

Thanks for the help!

Sorry this didn't help.

Brought it. Only going to be here for a year.

Sorry this didn't help.

I;m not sure how it gets past the NTSC and PAL. I thought that only mattered on a physical disc. If you look at my games that are arcade games in the past 2 years, I bought them all with an Irish account I made. I play them on my Gold account. As I have said, I never had an issue.

-

This also includes dlc for Black Ops etc.

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!

Sorry this didn't help.