Summer is here! How many HOURS do your kids play?

I am always being told I am "mean" because no gaming after supper, and that they don't get to play enough . . . so . . parent to parent . . .

1)  How Many Hours does your kid play on average?

2) Do you restrict them or give them free choice:?

3) How many of you admit to letting them play M for Mature games?  What makes you decide that one M games is acceptable when another is not?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

I know I'm not a parent, so I'll answer as a son :

1) From 3 to 7 hours per day;

2) My parents give me free choice (my father sometimes plays with me online)

3) It depends.

P.S. : I'm Italian

Alessio

1. My 8 year old plays maybe at the most 6 hours a week. That's if we are not playing something together like Kinect games. My 11 year old might play 5 hours a day it seems. He has a touch of of something and gaming keeps him calm. Now to tell the truth he may play allot but there are times where he might go 3 or 4 days with gaming at all.

2. I do restrict the 8 year old more then the 11 year old.

3. 8 year old will play COD games. Not online in a open room. Even though he can't talk to anyone but people on his friends list I just don't feel he needs to see some of the junk in an open lobby. The 11 year old plays what he wants most of the time. I do not allow any GTA type stuff or games like that where you can just kill for fun. For the most he is into Halo and Minecraft.

Speaking as a son = 24/7

[quote user="da best leader"]

Speaking as a son = 24/7

[/quote]

LOL, especially in summer (no school !)

Alessio

A-ha. I've got to tell my kids that one. NO GAMES AFTER DINNER! They'd freak.

1) They'd each average 24/7 if they could pull it off, but my oldest is banned from all gaming until Summer School is out. So he gets 0. my 12yo only plays about 4hrs per day if she plays, and my 5yo kind of 'graze games' He'll ask us to start a game for him, then 30 minutes later he's off playing with cars or trains and stuff. But he bounces back and forth between games.

2) Both? Not having enough Xboxes they're limited by how much they play, what they play and whether or not DAD wants to play. If no one else wants to play, have at it most of the time.

3) Yeah, they play M games. Ninja Gaiden, Halo, BlOps, Midnight Club, Splinter Cell Conviction.  My oldest (14) plays them the most aside from me. My daughter only really likes Halo & BlOps, and the 5yo wanders Reach's forge blowing himself up along with Lego Indiana Jones & Castle Crashers.

I'm not worried about thier gaming habits. Offer a trip to the pool and they're out the door before the screen goes dark.

[quote user="Green Eyed Leo"]

I am always being told I am "mean" because no gaming after supper, and that they don't get to play enough . . . so . . parent to parent . . .

1)  How Many Hours does your kid play on average?

2) Do you restrict them or give them free choice:?

3) How many of you admit to letting them play M for Mature games?  What makes you decide that one M games is acceptable when another is not?

[/quote]My children can go for weeks without playing so i am more lenient when they do play, they can play for up to four hours at a time (time allowing), before they naturally want to come off the console, but if it is a sunny day i usually encourage them to go outside.

I give them a relatively free choice.

I don't use the age restriction on games as a guide for my children, as i am an avid gamer too, i use my own judgement, if there is sexual violence in the game then they cannot play the game, i am not bothered about bad language (afterall they live in the real world) and i am not too bothered by blood or violence, i look at the violence the same way i do as the violence in a Tom and Jerry cartoon...

My oldest is 13 and my youngest is 7 (but i am more strict with my youngest son's gaming habits).