Streaming game to PC while watching TV on Xbox One

Hi - I "thought" that I had at one time read that there would be the ability to stream a game from the xbox One to the Windows 10 PC while still watching TV on the Xbox. Is this possible? If not now, is this an upcoming feature? Thanks

Question Info

Last updated November 5, 2018 Views 580 Applies to:

The gamestreaming mirrors the activity on the Xbox One so this is not possible. It was said that if you were gaming and someone wanted to watch tv you could then gamestream to your pc and play from that while the other person can watch tv. However in reality this does not mean that they can watch tv via the Xbox One while you game. They will have to connect the cable or tv box to the tv and switch the channel for it.

Also on a sidenote, streaming tv to the Xbox app is not possible because it's seen as protected content

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

The xbox one is being marketed as an entertainment center. If you have to disconnect your cable box from the xbox one  to view TV and stream  to me it defeats the purpose. I don't care about streaming TV to my PC. I just want the ability to stream a game while someone else watches the TV that the xbox is connected to.

Sorry this didn't help.

Maybe a work around is to get an hdmi splitter sending one signal to the xbox and one to a free port on the tv. That way you can choose to watch TV  via the secondary source while streaming xbox content to the PC. Would that work?

Sorry this didn't help.

In theory that should work

Sorry this didn't help.

Well it's not just a theoretical solution it's a practical one that people have been using since HDMI came out, well and before that with SCART etc.

Just get a HDMI switch, they go for about 10 dollar/euro/pounds. You plug one device into a port on the switch, and the xbox in the other port, then you plug the output of the switch to the TV. The cheap ones you have to press a button to switch sources, but the more expensive ones come with a remote.

If you have two or more HDMI ports already on your TV then you are already set and you don't even need a switch.

Sorry this didn't help.

it's just that the Xbox One has HDCP so any extra connection in between the the Xbox and the tv or tv box might cause it to not broadcast the signal, that's why i said that in theory it should work

Sorry this didn't help.

With the splitter setup would you still have access to other xbox features such as one guide on the tv or is this just setup just like taking the xbox out of the loop without physically disconnecting wires?

Sorry this didn't help.

Actually you are right Feared, I'm talking about switches, and you are talking about splitters, both are very different things, and yes splitters have to also split the HDCP and that does not always work out well, especially when you have to decode on two different Monitors.

With a switch you will be just using it to switch between the Xbox and another device that is plugged into it, like for example a Blu-ray player or a digital set to box. The "Splitting" is done via the streaming as this will show the image on the PC and the TV (When the switch is using the xbox as a source).

A splitter is just a device that allows you to view the same source on two or more screens at the same time.

This answer was not aimed at you Fear, as i know you know the difference, it was aimed at the person who was originally talking about splitters.

Sorry this didn't help.