Strange Console Behavior....

So I've begun to have some issues with my console (360Thick) in regard to ability to read game discs. I've already followed the recommendations about clearing cache, removing hard drive and others multiple times, however have gotten no relief.

Please keep in mind that all of my games are full retail versions in pristine condition - no smudges, scratches, etc...

A few of my games work flawlessly, like Black Ops and Halo. Some work after many attempts. Some never work... and now for the "strange" part. If I first play a game that always works, ie. Halo, then put in a game that sometimes or never works, they will then *usually* work. Even the games that never work by themselves.

I know the DVD drive has had physical problems, but with my symptoms it would indicate otherwise.

Unfortunately, my console is out of warranty as of last December (and I'm on my fifth console since release day!!) so I won't be paying the money to ship it to MSFT.

Anyone ever hear of this before or have any ideas? Is there anything I can do?

Thanks in advance!!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 8 Applies to:

You have TWO options:

1) Contact support and set up a repair. Since your console is out of warranty you will be charged for the repair up to $130USD.

2) Buy a newer console and transfer everything over to it via a Xbox 360 Data Migration Cable - Buy from Microsoft Store or a USB flash drive.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

@Temhotabot - Those options are pretty obvious... my question is more open-ended - why would a game not work unless another is played first? I've NEVER heard of this symptom.

Sorry this didn't help.

There could be several reasons why. Each game developer uses their own types of disc for their games so it could be that. Just like when you buy a sleeve of blank cd/dvd's, if you flip them over you will see that many differ from one another depending on the type of coating and materials used to make the disc. If the drive is reading games when it wants to instead of all the time that tells me ONE thing, the drives reading laser is on its way out. What you are experiencing is merely luck when you put a previously unplayable disc in the drive and it reads it where as before it didn't.

When was the last time you cleaned the disc drive? (with a laser lense cleaner or canned air)

Sorry this didn't help.

I used canned air a few days ago thinking that may help, but it didn't. Are laser lens cleaner's worth it? I thought they were a gimmick.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have used laser lense cleaners in most of my electronics that utilize a cd/dvd tray. I've used one on my console a few times already and have not had any side affects from it. I'd rather not wait until something is wrong to use one. Preventive maintenance is a useful thing to practice where electronics are concerned.

Sorry this didn't help.

As Temhotabot said not all CD's are the same and it could be that the Halo or Black Ops disc is 'activating' in a loose sense your drives reading laser therefore enabling you to play other game.

I'm not sure how much a laser lens cleaner would actually help as i'm not authority on them but I think it unlikely to be to an unclean lens causing the problem.

Hope this helps in some way.

Sorry this didn't help.

Well... after getting frustrated, to put it mildly, I caved and game MSFT another $300 of my hard-earned dollars and purchased a 360S last night. This is now my SIXTH console since launch day.... can anyone beat that count???

Also, are the slim models known to be any more stable?

Sorry this didn't help.

Have had no problems with my Slim model, and played heavily during the GOW3 demo weeks and have been playing quite a bit lately trying to finish Mass Effect 1 and 2, and got a running game of Fallout:Vegas

Sorry this didn't help.