Stats on BO2, other games, & in life

This thread was created to start a discussion about stats & their accuracy & specifically why I think (as IMO) they're not accurate at all.

-

First of all, everyone knows that there are people in BO2 & in other games that are willing to cheat or take advantage of the system in some way & manipulate their stats to "look" better than everyone else - I won't go into much detail here since most players are already familiar with the concept. Secondly, stats usually show a measurement of some sort over time, & will not necessarily reflect that player's skill at that time, if ever. For example, if you were to look at my K/D ratio, it's less than 1 ( it's 0.97). However, this is reflected because it took me over a month to get used to how different BO2 is compared to other games & I have done absolutely nothing to manipulate this stat. In contrast, other more perceptive players may have reset their stats after their 1st prestige (or at some other point) to get a clean slate & start all over & with the experience already gained, get a much higher K/D ratio overall since they've had the time to learn the intricate details of the weapons & equipment, maps, perks, scorestreaks, gametypes, etc. Others have also used combat training in order to improve their stats by playing a few matches as a "warm up" before actually going into matchmaking - another thing that I don't do. And these are just 2 justifiable methods that don't involve cheating. I firmly believe that K/D ratio (& other stats for similar reasons) are NOT a measurement of skill or anything else that can be considered accurate for this reason, along with many others not mentioned here. After all, the concept of "starting over" is something that most people in every facet of life wish they could do in some form or another - the ultimate reset button. Just imagine 1 thing you could reset, start over, or try again & think of how drastic the result could be. In BO2 & many other games, this IS a very real possibility. Right now, I could reset my stats & start over & due to my knowledge of the game up to this point, I would invariably do better - but what does that say about my stats?

-

Stats get their origins from scoring in a game. Ever since video games became a thing, & with games & sports in general before that, a score had to be kept in order to compare the 2 competing teams or players. Back in the days of the arcade, this was a simple number at the top left or right of the screen that you simply had to increase the more you played & the better you got. The point of scoring was not necessarily to beat someone else or to become the best, but to see how well YOU could do. Naturally, as competitive as people can get, this spurned people to throw their quarters at the gaming cabinets & try again. This in turn, made a profit for the game developers who made the best games & is likely where the "pros" of gaming originated. However, I would argue that score is a means to an end & that end is get you to keep playing & making the developers more money - & nothing more. Otherwise, I say that score & stats in turn are as useless as achievements on the Xbox 360. They don't mean or do anything for you other than show you & others what you've done & the irony is that it's likely that most other people will not care.

-

I would argue that you can't measure skill in ANY video game. Only that you can, in any individual game, see who won fair & square. Sure, some may win more than others, but there are far too many factors out there that can't possibly be taken into account such as attitude, comfort, peripherals (modded or wireless controllers, for example), knowledge of the game, reflexes, connection speed & stability as well distance from the players geographically, & on & on & on...

-

To a certain extent, knowing who the best is can even be hard to figure out in reality. Lance Armstrong is a good example of this. He won the Tour de France numerous times & was considered the best at what he did (& to some people, he still is) despite that since then, it's been discovered that he cheated to get to accomplish that goal on several occassions. This just goes to show that people will go to any length to get what they want if they can get away with it. It's in our nature as much as I hate to admit it. We want to get ahead & to succeed & if we can't do that, then we can at least try to make others perceive that we did.

-

There's a saying that I've always liked to tell myself: "There's always somebody better than you." I don't use it as a means to deter myself, but to change the way I look at things. Rather than compete against others, I simply strive to do the best that I can, since I know there will inevitably be somebody better or somebody that will find a way to manipulate the system in place - after all, it's all I can do, so why worry about anything else?

-

Some gamers say we should do away with stats altogether & in this regard, I'm inclined to agree. I think score should be kept for individual games, but not saved for any purpose afterwards. For example, I could play a CTF game against other players & earn the 3 captures to win, but that's it. Once I've won, I simply move on to the next game - no stats are recorded for any reason. This way, you can still be competitive in each & every game, but not have to worry about anyone manipulating the system outside of the individual games or ignoring the game completely as with some players who will boost stats, which often takes away from the purpose of the game. Sure there will still be cheaters, but I believe that there would be far less of them because there would be no lasting benefit for doing so outside of the immediate win. In the end, gaming is about having fun 1st & foremost & as long as that happens for everyone involved, stats don't or ever will mean jack.

-

I'm not entirely sure where I was going with this, but I hope you do...

-

Comments & criticisms are obviously welcome since these are the forums, but keep it civil & on topic people!

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Wow,  I'm not gonna bother reading that novel but you hit the key word in the title "life".

Stats are meH. Its a video game to play and have fun. COD makes people rage more than any other games out there and I have always wondered why? I did read, but I think you answered your own questions, LOL.

Would of been better in a video rant form.

With the many threads that get the common "TL;DR" response, how could you not see this coming?

TL;DR

You can't measure skill, but you can measure performance. At the end of the day, nobody cares how good you are if you can't perform.

^^I use  the term "gamers" when speaking of my boy and his baseball "travel team" boys. Sometimes you have guys with tons of talent, but they fold under pressure. And then you got guys who just "game on" and "go to work" so to speak and play ball. They are never "nervous" so to speak, and they are clutch. Maybe not the most talented, but they perform and are always solid. Pressure and the "flight or fight" reflexes will seperate the good for the great everytime..

Fecks sake you really know how to make our eyes bleed.

Stats are great. If their legit. I'll take a rough guess and say 90% of CoD players cheat their stats.

I like having a look at my own combat record now and again and know that I've done reasonably well even with the mass kicking/host dashboarding/2manvfull teams.

On the other hand I look at the occasional random players stats and their sitting on 140 unstoppables and a 0/34 w/l. Who do they think they're impressing?

I never cared for stats at all and Ill never understand people's obsessions with stats. They don't mean anything. I personally think Cod would be a better game if it didn't have stats.

TL;DR

What drives people to cheat/boost/what have you? Ego. Like mentioned on another thread.

Well,I think stats are what makes some people enjoy a game.I would'nt be against removing them personally,I would still enjoy the game exactly the same.Since we do have them,I do like to look at mine once in while just to see if i've improved at all,but that's just for my own benefit.I don't think that they are at all accurate in this game due to all the unpredictability with the connections,I mean you would have to include something like an average ping number but even then there are too many other variables.If you're not bothered about stats then just ignore them.I suppose to remove them would solve alot of issues with the community boosting etc but really idc.