Square Enix CEO, Yoichi Wada, has resigned.

LINK

It seems to be a case of SE not doing too well with sales. And don't forget their developer side which I wouldn't exactly call reliable. The FF franchise has been in a bit of a slump and XIII wasn't exactly hailed as a classic. FFXIV though was a complete disaster, a very, very expensive disaster that's still going.

-

Their publishing side has brought out some quality titles. Tomb Raider being the latest. The market rewarded them for their good decisions, like Deus Ex and Tomb Raider. I'm not sure if Sleeping Dogs broke even, because their marketing was so terrible but then again that same lack of marketing may have saved them a ton of cash. Other issues could be down to taking on too much at once.

=

Hopefully, new management will double down on good decisions and stop failures like FFXIV.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Very good news.

It's laughable that SE thinks 3.4mil copies sold already is below expectations. That number didn't even factor in downloads either.

Meh. Hopefully online passes, bloated budgets (advertisments/over development) go out the door with him and EA's Riticello.

The millions of sales generated by Sleeping Dogs, Hitman and Tomb Raider could only be considered a "failure" if one considers how much money got dumped into the production and advertising campaigns for them.

At least he took responsibility for the poor management of the company and stepped down.  The market is changing.  I didn't feel like Tomb Raider was worth paying $60 for, considering the summer game drought right around the corner.  You know you'll be able to pick it up for $30 new by then.

[quote user="Judge Bergan"]

It's laughable that SE thinks 3.4mil copies sold already is below expectations. That number didn't even factor in downloads either.

[/quote]

pretty much this, expecting more than 2million for new IPs or reboots is ridiculous. tomb raider with over 3 million should have been considered well above expectation.

They should stop making garbage FF games if they don't wanna lose money.

Personally I loved Deus Ex: Human Revolution and the Tomb Raider reboot. I've even begun a new playthorugh of DE:HR on the hardest dificulty. The story for TR was awesome, definately a GOTY contender in my mind, but tacking on mp is what most likely killed the game. It didn't need it, it didn't require it, it didn't have to have it. And then making statements like only focusing on mp dlc, that also killed it in my mind. Single player dlc would've been awesome for it. DE:HR didn't have it and it didn't need it to sell well. Now, Final Fantasy has become the next Call of Duty it terms of constant yearly releases. Like Call of Duty, Final Fantasy needs a good 1-2 year hiatus at least. The deveolpers took 4 years to do Bioshock Infinte and it's pulling in rave reviews, but when we see yearly titles, it shows in the qulaity. And in the reviews.
Now I myself am hoping for another Deus Ex game to follow Human Revolution, as well as another Tomb Raider. But they have to cut out any mp. It's not needed in those games.

Kinda interesting to see how many old developers/publishers are beginning to fade out and just become another memory of video game history.

THQ, Midway, Pandemic, etc etc

Their demise gives way to new developers with new ideas, so I guess its a tradeoff.

They are lucky Tomb Raider sold that many copies despite it's horrible tacked on MP.

Previously known as Win7Xbox 360

[quote user="LOL AT UR SKILL"]

They are lucky Tomb Raider sold that many copies despite it's horrible tacked on MP.

[/quote]

Even more lucky they didn't get called out for making Tomb Raider a sub-par Uncharted clone.

At least they (SE) still have the Final Fantasy 10 HD release coming out; arguably the last good Final Fantasy game.