Spray and Pray?

Just a quick question. Do you guys and gals think Mass Effect could be considered spray and pray?

I ask because some guy I argue with made that claim in an attempt to insult me and from my point of view ME is actually the opposite. Unless you're playing on the easiest difficultly spray and pray will get you killed, right? For anyone who's unfamiliar with the term - "Spray and pray is a derisive term for firing an automatic firearm towards an enemy in long bursts, without making an effort to line up each shot or burst of shots." - from wikipedia.

Oh and this guy has like 5+ COD games in his games list and his avatar is wearing a MW3 shirt. When I mentioned how ridiculous it is to make that claim while supporting COD he went on some tangent about how it's not the devs fault the community plays that way. Weird right?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 9 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

spray and pray is usually used to describe someone doing what you said but doing so usually in desperation as you dont have time to line up the shot(s) and need to get rounds towards the enemy soon.

dude is either a troll or stupid, either way move on since he'll think he's either funny or made you mad as a troll or if he's stupid, well you can't fix stupid.

and to answer the question, no.

I wouldn't say it's 'spray and pray' at all, really. There are moments you can mange to hold the trigger down and empty the mag into a large enemy, but that doesn't mean it's only that. I'm unsure what having other games to play and what someone's avatar is wearing has any bearing on their view or opinion, though. He had a point, that just because a chunk of a community plays a certain way doesn't exactly mean the game itself is exactly that. Just because a lot of people rush in RTS titles doesn't make it a rush strategy game.

I could conceive of it being spray and pray in some situations and not in other situations.

When I use the mattock and a strong enemy, or any enemy got too close, I would hip fire repeatedly until the enemy died.  Though its not an automatic weapon, it was pretty much the same tactic as I wasn't taking time to re aim until the enemy was dead.

Its obviously less so than COD.

Spray and pray is also a legit tactic in certain situations.  Especially close quarters.  

"Spray and Pray" can work in certain circumstances I guess... but I prefer to use "Short controlled bursts" myself.

Spray and pray means firing tons of bullets in the general direction of enemies and hoping it hits something. Unloading a ton of bullets into a tough enemy isn't the same thing. I really don't see this in ME games at all. If you're not aiming you're terrible at the game. Even in MP you can't just hope you hit something.

@Vader- Me and this guy have been going back and forth for a few years now, there's no point moving on or ignoring it.

@Ruthless- The point about COD and his MW3 shirt is because COD is known for being noob friendly and having a lot of spray and pray going on. I wouldn't normally mock someone for their game history but he brought up the ME3 spray and pray thing first. I was just pointing out his hypocrisy.

Got you. I didn't know the details, so I could only guess you brought it up randomly. Most people won't budge on a subject or their opinion if they believe so strongly about it. A lot tend to still go with it, even when proven wrong by facts. I think many just don't like to admit they're wrong, thus spawning random hate out of nothing.

I mainly made this topic to make sure I was right about this. When I play ME games there's no spray and pray going on so I just assumed that's how everyone else plays it. I only play on Normal but I can't imagine S&P works at all on higher difficulties.

Btw he also said that Gears is S&P too and I disagree with that as well. I know some people play it that way but in my opinion those people are just terrible at the game. In Gears you have to hit stuff to survive. People practice aiming the gnasher in PvP, those who don't get one shotted a lot. In Horde you have to aim or you're not gonna survive. You guys agree?

I agree on the MASS Effect games (haven't touched Gears) but I'd be interested in his counter argument, why don't you invite him on to "join the conversation" to express his opinion, when you say "Spray & Pray", I think of 'Heavy' from Team Fortress 2 with his Turret (Sascha) that he carries around, MASS Effect games definitely require more accuracy and precision for success...:-)

@Arkham- You're right the Heavy from TF2 is the perfect example. You see enemies and just spray in the general direction and pray you hit them. Mass Effect games are nothing like that.

[quote user="TruYadoo"]

Look at Mass Effect 3, I haven't played it as it's another video game that largely supports a "spray and pray" tactic

[/quote]
This is the quote that started that particular disagreement. Since then he's refused to back down from that even though I've told him how wrong he is. I'll link him to this topic so he can discuss it if he wants. Chances are he won't though because when he's wrong about something he just avoids it or goes into full denial mode.
Hello, first of all. I'd like to mention to vader da slayer; Unyo is typically the Troll within the Shadowrun section of these forums.
Yes, I was the person that made this claim and unsurprisingly, Unyo is trying to act like the victim here.
I'd played the ME2 and ME3 demos, watch trailers and gameplay clips and I've come to the conclusion that ME3 was built around a "less than accurate" shooting development. The reticles on most ME3 weapons are similar to most weapons on Halo and Gears of War. Both don't even come close to supporting an accurate way to shoot. Unyo has criticized CoD for Spray n Pray when it isn't the video game but the players that CHOOSE to shoot accurately. With ME3 having large reticles for aiming/shooting, it is nearly impossible to shoot even fairly accurate. (By accurate, I mean more than 20%-30%.)
I would bet that less than 25% of the Halo and Gears community has above a 20% accuracy. Sure, many of those players might not care about their accuracy but it's not like the video game makes it a simple task for those that do. How is ME3's shooting any different than the shooting on Halo or Gears? All three video games use larger reticles for on-screen sights on most of the weapons.
Dear Unyo, you should learn to stop taking EVERYTHING so literal. Yes, I did use the term "Spray n Pray" which was created because of players almost literally praying to hit someone as they shot. Nowadays, Spray n Pray is/can be used to explain uncaring accuracy. Just because you are running around like a headless chicken as you literally pray to hit someone as you unload ammo randomly, doesn't mean that you aren't Spraying.
Wait, I know why you are so upset and that you considered it an insult. I included the term "Praying" and you're an Atheist... I understand now!