[SPOILERS] Thoughts on the game, now that I HAVE finished it!

Starting a new thread full of spoilers, so I can get a little more specific on how I feel about the ending.  As I mentioned in the other thread, that whole bit with the Normandy, and who pops out after it crashes, all just feels kind of forced.  You can tell it wasn't written by the same team that wrote the wonderful missions on Tuchanka and Rannoch, or even the one's who wrote the London mission, which I was incredibly happy with!  I feel like the end would have been 1000 times better had they cut that out entirely, and skipped right to stargazer and his grandson talking about the stars.  This was a nice touch, IMO, and I'm glad I stuck around after the credits to see it. 

That Normandy scene is really my only gripe about the end as a whole.  It seems to me that they should give us full closure, or none at all.  Don't just give us 1 little scene that raises more questions than it answers.  I would have been totally fine without that scene, and just show us glimpses of your choice's effect on the galaxy as a whole, and leave it at that.  Otherwise, they should have gone to the other end of the spectrum, and show us what specifically happens to EVERYONE we care about.  I'm talking about a LOTR type ending, where after ther final conflict is resolved, there's still more than an hour of movie left!

I played all 3 endings, out of which the synthesis ending made the most sense to me.  At 1st, it sort of bothered me (as it has been well voiced here) that all 3 endings trigger the same cinematic, with a different color fire.  After giving it some thought, however, I realized you just have to believe in the narrative.  The catalyst explained to you exactly what would happen as a result of all 3 choices.  So, if you work it out in your mind, you know what happens eventually, regardless of the cinematic you see.  Plus, the kid is an allegory for God, do we really think he will be wrong about what happens next?  Then I also realized ME2 ended the exact same way.  Destroy the collector base or not, the cinematics were largely the same, but we trust in the narrative that either says "We'll find another way," or "I don't think trusting IM was a good idea."

Lastly, there's the issue of choice.  Although the choices you made throughout all 3 games have no impact on the final ending, I don't think that makes them irrelevant.  Shephard was destined for this ending.  Ever since taking command of the Normandy for the 1st time, we should have seen this coming.  Defeating the reapers wasn't enough... Shephard was destined to become a legend by saving not only the galaxy, but saving life itself, FROM itself!  I think the Illusive Man was right when he tells you, "This is bigger than you or me or anyone!"  And that's what the final choice is, bigger than anything you ever expected.  Point is, the decisions you make all decide how you make to journey to reach this destiny.  And it's amazing to me that 100 different roads all lead to the same place.  I finished the game with my Paragon, and even though I know how it all ends, I'm anxious to get started with my Renegade so I can see just how different his road to end is.

Just my $0.02...

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

[quote user="Moreneto"]

Starting a new thread full of spoilers, so I can get a little more specific on how I feel about the ending.  As I mentioned in the other thread, that whole bit with the Normandy, and who pops out after it crashes, all just feels kind of forced.  You can tell it wasn't written by the same team that wrote the wonderful missions on Tuchanka and Rannoch, or even the one's who wrote the London mission, which I was incredibly happy with!  I feel like the end would have been 1000 times better had they cut that out entirely, and skipped right to stargazer and his grandson talking about the stars.  This was a nice touch, IMO, and I'm glad I stuck around after the credits to see it.

That Normandy scene is really my only gripe about the end as a whole.  It seems to me that they should give us full closure, or none at all.  Don't just give us 1 little scene that raises more questions than it answers.  I would have been totally fine without that scene, and just show us glimpses of your choice's effect on the galaxy as a whole, and leave it at that.  Otherwise, they should have gone to the other end of the spectrum, and show us what specifically happens to EVERYONE we care about.  I'm talking about a LOTR type ending, where after ther final conflict is resolved, there's still more than an hour of movie left!

I played all 3 endings, out of which the synthesis ending made the most sense to me.  At 1st, it sort of bothered me (as it has been well voiced here) that all 3 endings trigger the same cinematic, with a different color fire.  After giving it some thought, however, I realized you just have to believe in the narrative.  The catalyst explained to you exactly what would happen as a result of all 3 choices.  So, if you work it out in your mind, you know what happens eventually, regardless of the cinematic you see.  Plus, the kid is an allegory for God, do we really think he will be wrong about what happens next?  Then I also realized ME2 ended the exact same way.  Destroy the collector base or not, the cinematics were largely the same, but we trust in the narrative that either says "We'll find another way," or "I don't think trusting IM was a good idea."

Lastly, there's the issue of choice.  Although the choices you made throughout all 3 games have no impact on the final ending, I don't think that makes them irrelevant.  Shephard was destined for this ending.  Ever since taking command of the Normandy for the 1st time, we should have seen this coming.  Defeating the reapers wasn't enough... Shephard was destined to become a legend by saving not only the galaxy, but saving life itself, FROM itself!  I think the Illusive Man was right when he tells you, "This is bigger than you or me or anyone!"  And that's what the final choice is, bigger than anything you ever expected.  Point is, the decisions you make all decide how you make to journey to reach this destiny.  And it's amazing to me that 100 different roads all lead to the same place.  I finished the game with my Paragon, and even though I know how it all ends, I'm anxious to get started with my Renegade so I can see just how different his road to end is.

Just my $0.02...[/quote]Looks as if you tried to insert breaks for paragraphs but the forums formatting ate it up, so I simply edited it in this quote to include these breaks for easier viewing for everyone else so it's not just a block of text.

None of the endings made any real sense to me because why would the Star-Child be telling you how to stop his plan. All he needs to do is talk to you for a few minutes until you bleed to death.

-

Also why would they build those options you have? If those three hadn't been built then the Star-Child's plan would have carried on working.

-

Why would you hinge your entire cycle plan on one power conduit that can be damaged by small arms fire? Why would you leave the panel to take control of the Reapers exposed. If Synthesis was such a great option then why hadn't the Star-Child simply taken that option all that time ago instead of creating the Reapers?

-

It's like a super-villain who creates this perfect plan to take over the world but leaves one fatal flaw in it which he insists on monologuing about to the hero.

[quote user="voteDC"]

None of the endings made any real sense to me because why would the Star-Child be telling you how to stop his plan. All he needs to do is talk to you for a few minutes until you bleed to death.

-

Also why would they build those options you have? If those three hadn't been built then the Star-Child's plan would have carried on working.

-

Why would you hinge your entire cycle plan on one power conduit that can be damaged by small arms fire? Why would you leave the panel to take control of the Reapers exposed. If Synthesis was such a great option then why hadn't the Star-Child simply taken that option all that time ago instead of creating the Reapers?

-

It's like a super-villain who creates this perfect plan to take over the world but leaves one fatal flaw in it which he insists on monologuing about to the hero.

[/quote]

...And he would've gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you meddling kids!

valid points, voteDC, but I've always thought that this God-Child, is actually a code to overwrite the Reaper's code. Pretty much like brainwashing. Kinda like how you had the chance to do that to the Geths. This code was allegedly developed billions and billions of years ago by endless cycles of organic beings in their desperation. The Crucible was perhaps the only method of injecting the code onto the Citadel, which takes on the form of a child now since it is something that Shepard is familiar with, this pure innocence of a child, which would also explain the fact that it can be trusted.

As for God-Child showing you how to destroy the station, that could also relate to how Legion let Shepard make that decision for them, this written code (this God-Child now). So somehow the child code re-routed the Citadel to self Destruct or what have you, simply by allowing Shepard to destroy a conduit. Some such like that, but I'm tired and my head hurts now, heh.

i very much believe that the man talking to the child in the very end happens to be Joker talking to his child. quite honestly, i'm happy with the way they ended the game. the catalyst DID explain what would happen with each one. it has me satisfied with what i've done in all 3 games.

[quote user="Lord Sion45"]

i very much believe that the man talking to the child in the very end happens to be Joker talking to his child. quite honestly, i'm happy with the way they ended the game. the catalyst DID explain what would happen with each one. it has me satisfied with what i've done in all 3 games.

[/quote]

Interesting theory, but the man also states that it happened long ago and many of the details have been lost in time.  If it was Joker he certainly wouldn't have 'lost' some of the details.

[quote user="voteDC"]

-

-

-

[/quote]

Ah... here we go again:

The Star Child isn't just telling you how to stop his plan, he's pointing out the failures and flaws. He explains the original intent then says the fact that he's even explaining this to an organic in the first place means it isn't working. The system has finally failed and he doesn't have the collective data needed to determine the resolution. It's like a computer that thinks in 1's and 0's but now it needs you to tell it what "half" is.

That last one I can't really debate, but I will say it's probably just an homage to the Death Star.

http://youtu.be/RcL6DwSufMI

The game was awesome but the endings just ruined it for me =/

[quote user="Payton Jones"]

[quote user="Lord Sion45"]

[/quote]

Interesting theory, but the man also states that it happened long ago and many of the details have been lost in time.  If it was Joker he certainly wouldn't have 'lost' some of the details.

[/quote]

In addition, what if your EMS was low, so that only Joker (or possibly no-one) survived the crash-landing?
-
I assumed it was Joker at the end, but it doesn't make sense with all the possible endings

[quote user="bardnoir"]

[quote user="voteDC"]

-

-

-

[/quote]

Ah... here we go again:

The Star Child isn't just telling you how to stop his plan, he's pointing out the failures and flaws. He explains the original intent then says the fact that he's even explaining this to an organic in the first place means it isn't working. The system has finally failed and he doesn't have the collective data needed to determine the resolution. It's like a computer that thinks in 1's and 0's but now it needs you to tell it what "half" is.

That last one I can't really debate, but I will say it's probably just an homage to the Death Star.

http://youtu.be/RcL6DwSufMI

[/quote]How is it not telling you how to stop the plan? It states quite clearly that shooting the power conduit will destroy all the Reapers and other AI. That holding the unit will give you control of the Reapers and jumping into the beam will merge organic and synthetic life.

The only flaw is Shepard getting there, which it did itself by raising the lift, as Shepard could not have got to that section on his/her own. If it had said nothing and done nothing, its plan would have continued uninterrupted and this cycle would have ended.