*SPOILERS* Since everyone else is posting Ending commentary...

I figured, since everyone else gets to post an article saying "I agree with this article 100%" I figure I should be allowed to as well.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/why-the-ending-of-mass-effect-3-was-satifying-and-worthy-of-the-series-mass

Warning: I didn't hate the ending.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

Personally, I think if people didn't see the tragic ending coming, they're either in denial or not very observant.  All the foreshadowing is there, clear as day for anyone paying attention.  Shep says goodbye to nearly every one of friends in one way or another.  The overall tone always hints that he's going to make a sacrifice.

I had no problems with the way this ended.  Sure, there are some plot holes, and inconsistencies, but overall I agree with what the article is saying.

And you know, I've seen thread after thread of some very serious, intense, and thoughtful discussion of both the endings and the overall themes and meaning behind the game.  Think about that for a second.  This is a videogame, and yet it has inspired more intelligent debate than many, in fact, most, films and books ever do.  Whether you like it or hate it, there's no denying that it has left an incredible impression on many people.  Great works of art always inspire discussion, and this trilogy has done just that.  If nothing else, that will be its legacy.

Very well put. From this day forward I will say: There are two types of people in this world; Those who strike down the ending of Mass Effect 3 with great vengeance and furious anger and those that don't.

I was talking to another friend, who didn't hate it and shares my "it wasn't perfect but wasn't that bad either" and they said the same thing happened with Dragon Age II (which she played and recommended once). The guy in the next cube over however, actually said "Don't buy DA2. You will play it, then stab yourself in the eye just to feel a lesser pain than knowing you played DA2."

He makes me want to play DA2! XD

I don't see how it could be considered either worthy of the trilogy or satisfying when it disregards the tenant of the series which is your choices define the game. An ending which takes none of your choices into account is at direct odds to the rest of the trilogy.

-

Dragon Age 2 is a good game but not really a good sequel. It's very narrow in focus compared to Origins and the time jumping story doesn't help.

[quote user="voteDC"]

your choices define the game. An ending which takes none of your choices into account

[/quote]

A) My choices defined the game.

Every interaction I have is based on a previous game. Liara acknowledges my relationship with Tali, Wrex tells stories of our conflict on Virmir, Garrus makes "get a room" comments when Tali and I talking on Missions, Jack asks if I plan to throw her up against the bulk head again, Reporters remember getting punched in the face - all these things are rather game defining to me. Playing again I can already see changes in dialogue because  I never romanced Liara and let Kaiden die.

B) The ending takes all your choices into account.

Including the choice to make a new choice that contradicts all your previous choices.

*shrug*

[quote user="voteDC"]

I don't see how it could be considered either worthy of the trilogy or satisfying when it disregards the tenant of the series which is your choices define the game. An ending which takes none of your choices into account is at direct odds to the rest of the trilogy.

[/quote]

I did indeed feel disapointed that my choices didn't have that much of an impact on the ending. Sure, my choices throughout all three games do actively effect my War Assets and therefore the ending I get, but only in a small way.

----------

However, I also wasn't surprised by the fact that previous choices didn't factor in that much, because taken in context with the rest of the series it fit the patter. The concept of choice in Mass Effect is superb, but it's largely an illusion: sure, characters can die due to our decisions and events can change a little, but ultimately our choices never did effect the major story moments in any real way. Mass Effect 1 always ended in almost the exact same way, as did ME2.

------------

heh, if I wanted t be cynical I could say that ME3's ending is a reflection of real life: sometimes no matter what path we choose, the outcome is still largely the same. :D

For me its no longer the ending but still ties greatly into it but it has now become a hatred to the balls it took for them to tell me to by dlc after i just been confused and started picking apart the ending. Also the reaction Bioware is having is being kind of disrespectful especially about the latest LIE about fans attacking them on theyre forums. Im still looking for a case of that.

Well put Wolf.

I think I said it in another form but every game pretty much ends the same way. ME1 - Sovereign is defeated no matter what choices you make. The Council is either saved or Killed (not like they don't come back by ME3). ME2 - Collectors are eliminated. The base is either destroyed or salvaged (not like the Illusive Man doesn't get his hands Reaper data anyway). ME3 - Reapers are stopped... A, B or C... Not like the 50,000 year cycle is going to repeat itself (well, unless you become that which you fear after controlling them but that's a different argument).

Back Lot Bashed hit it pretty dead on, good stuff.

Illusion can often be as powerful as the real thing.

-

Mass Effect had a real feel of exploration that the latter two games lacked, even though you were tied into pre-defined areas. Being able to drive around in the Mako gave the illusion of a size that was not really there.

-

The same thing can be said of the ending of the first Mass Effect, where how you play the game does have a small effect on the ending. If you save the council their speech to you at the end changes depending on whether you were Paragon or Renegade.

-

If you let the council die the ending changes to whether you should make a new multi-cultural council or a human dominated one, all depending on your paragon or renegade score.

-

The way you play does change the end of the first Mass Effect, even if that is just to a small degree. How you play Mass Effect 3 single player makes no difference at all providing you get a high enough EMS, something that is relatively easy to do thanks to multi-player.

[quote user="bardnoir"]

I think I said it in another form but every game pretty much ends the same way. ME1 - Sovereign is defeated no matter what choices you make. The Council is either saved or Killed (not like they don't come back by ME3). ME2 - Collectors are eliminated. The base is either destroyed or salvaged (not like the Illusive Man doesn't get his hands Reaper data anyway). ME3 - Reapers are stopped... A, B or C... Not like the 50,000 year cycle is going to repeat itself (well, unless you become that which you fear after controlling them but that's a different argument).

[/quote]

Precisely.  The overall ending was always destined to be just one, single event, like the other games.  It's HOW we get to that point that defines our experience.  The little things along the way.  On my playthrough, as a paragon, I ensured that the genophage was cured, and I felt really moved by the events that took place afterward, including messages from Wrex and "Eve".  If you do a renegade approach, and Wrex confronts you about the side deal with the Salarians, it ends with his death, and a feeling that you've just betrayed a friend to achieve the ultimate end.  That end is always the same, but there you have two routes which are vastly different.

The article talks about how this isn't a "happy ending" adventure; it's the story of one man/woman who gives their life in order to save humanity in one way or the other (your choice).  I admire the game's writers for having the courage to sidestep the usual expectations, and create something that, when the dust settles, and the griefing dies down, will be remembered as a great entry in the game canon.