(SPOILERS) A gripe I had with this game, not the ending.

I don't like how ME3 forced our opinion of The Illusive Man into that he was a totally misguided, evil antagonist. TIM getting indoctrinated? Really? At the end of ME2, especially if you saved the collector base, it kind of set up the perception that in ME3 you'd be able to continue working with Cerberus and TIM. I had a Renegade Shepard who was a racist pro-human. Yet my Shepard is still against TIM in ME3.. makes no sense. You should have been able to side with Alliance OR Cerberus if you wanted an ending with humanity dominating the galaxy. Besides the ending, just another situation that we were forced and pigeon-holed into. 

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

Did you play Mass Effect?  Did you see some of the stuff Cerebus was doing in the original game?  I hated Mass Effect 2 because I had to work for Cerebus to begin with.  lol  Actually, I loved Mass Effect 2, I just hated being w/ Cerberus.

Yes, I've played the first Mass Effect many times. I'm not arguing that The Illusive Man or Cerberus is moral or right, in both ME1 and ME2 they were painted blatantly as human extremists. The thing is in both first games you could also have Shep agree to this ideology of human priority.  My gripe is that in Mass Effect 3, they shove you into the Alliance state of mind - even if your Shep is renegade and agrees with the Cerberus philosophy the previous two games. Going a step further, your Shep can no longer agree with Cerberus in dialogue trees. All of a sudden you're trying to prove Cerberus is wrong to TIM. Going a step EVEN FURTHER - they have TIM become indoctrinated by the reapers to justify that Cerberus is all wrong and never was right and you can't think anything else.

Again this just goes to the fact that Mass Effect 3 isn't really your story anymore. It's so linear and no matter what character you play the first two games, your practically the same character as everyone else in Mass Effect 3 bar a few paragon/renegade lines.

[quote user="AcadiaPaul"]

Did you play Mass Effect?  Did you see some of the stuff Cerebus was doing in the original game?  I hated Mass Effect 2 because I had to work for Cerebus to begin with.  lol  Actually, I loved Mass Effect 2, I just hated being w/ Cerberus.

[/quote]

Yeap. The plot-holes began in ME2. There is no way the ME1 Shepard (renegade or paragon) would work for or with Cerebus after all the crap he saw them doing in 1. Especially with the whole Kahoku muder and whatnot. At the very least, it should've been dealt with a hell of a lot more than just points in passing conversations.

[quote user="Budgier"]

Yes, I've played the first Mass Effect many times. I'm not arguing that The Illusive Man or Cerberus is moral or right, in both ME1 and ME2 they were painted blatantly as human extremists. The thing is in both first games you could also have Shep agree to this ideology of human priority.  My gripe is that in Mass Effect 3, they shove you into the Alliance state of mind - even if your Shep is renegade and agrees with the Cerberus philosophy the previous two games. Going a step further, your Shep can no longer agree with Cerberus in dialogue trees. All of a sudden you're trying to prove Cerberus is wrong to TIM. Going a step EVEN FURTHER - they have TIM become indoctrinated by the reapers to justify that Cerberus is all wrong and never was right and you can't think anything else.

Again this just goes to the fact that Mass Effect 3 isn't really your story anymore. It's so linear and no matter what character you play the first two games, your practically the same character as everyone else in Mass Effect 3 bar a few paragon/renegade lines.

[/quote]

They shove their fist right up your . . .

NOTHING you do in ME1 or ME2 (hell, even in ME3) matters in ME3 in any way. The only thing you can even somewhat control is certain NPCs deaths.

Therein lies the inherent problem with making promises (from Bioware) about 'choices vs consequences' affecting outcomes, especially for the climax of a three game series.