Spider-Man: Friend or Foe (Black Screen)

[Retrieved from the Xbox Forum Archive]

There is an issue playing Spider-Man: Friend or Foe on the newer 360 (slim) model consoles.  At startup the game will lockup at a black screen, and will remain locked until a notification message pops up (friend signed online, received a game invite, etc.).

This only seems to be an issue with the newer 360 (slim) models.  The problem does not occur on older (fat) models.  Considering it's a console-specific bug (and not the game), I imagine this problem may occur with other games as well - games that share whatever unique characteristic Spider-Man: FoF seems to have at the root of this problem.

Posted in the archived thread, one possible workaround is to quickly press the Guide Button immediately after selecting 'Play Game' but before the game actually starts.  Of course this is not an acceptable solution for the masses of casual players likely to purchase this family-friendly game.  A true solution needs to be investigated.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 214 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Any news?  I just want to be sure this bug is forwarded to the proper team.

Facebook.com/360DF
Twitter @360DF

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the head's up mate, I'll make sure this info gets to the right place.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey nCogNeato! Just wanted to get a little more info from you regarding this so we have everything we need to pass it along.

• Does this happen every time on every S console, or does it sometimes work alright?
  • Is there any similar issues when using a non-S console, or does it work perfectly there?
  • You mentioned a black screen until a pop-up message. Does this spur the game into working correctly after that? Describe the situation as accurately and in as much detail as possible.

Thanks for bringing this back to our attention! We'll post back whenever we get any new info.

Sorry this didn't help.

• Does this happen every time on every S console, or does it sometimes work alright?
    • It happens every time on my S console, and from what I've read on the archived thread (linked above) and posts on other forums, it seems to be a blanket problem for all S consoles.  With or without being installed to the Hard Drive.

• Is there any similar issues when using a non-S console, or does it work perfectly there?
    • It works without any issue on my non-S console.  With or without being installed to the Hard Drive.

• You mentioned a black screen until a pop-up message. Does this spur the game into working correctly after that? Describe the situation as accurately and in as much detail as possible.
    • Once you select to play the game from the Dashboard or Guide Menu, the screen goes black.  While the screen is black, there is no audio, and all controller input is ignored, including the Guide Button.  The only option is to eject the disc via console or media remote (brings you back to Dashboard), or simply wait.  The screen remains black without audio until a pop-up message appears on my screen (ie. friend signed online, message received, etc.).  The pop-up message appears to somehow 'shake loose' the game into playing as normal.  Once the game is 'shaken loose', I experience no further issues unless I exit back to Dashboard and attempt to load it again (repeat black screen).
    • I've tried installing and not installing to Hard Drive.  I've tried clearing cache and playing offline (although I don't think the game has any updates).  The only remedy that seems to work is the previously mentioned - press the Guide Button immediately before the game loads and the black screen appears.  By having the Guide Button displayed onscreen the game will load normally behind the Guide Button, at which point you can exit the Guide Button and play the game normally.

If you have any further question, just let me know.  Spider-Man: FoF is a fairly old game, and will probably not be played by many on the newer S consoles.  However, my concern is that other newer games may share the same characterisitic causing this 'black screen' issue, and perhaps the root of this issue may lead to other problems in the future if left unidentified.

Facebook.com/360DF
Twitter @360DF

Sorry this didn't help.

This exact problem is also occurring on my Xbox Slim. Purchased and replaced twice, 2nd time knew it had to be a problem with the game itself. Thankfully I found this thread and the temporary workaround solution. Thanks to you my son is very happy now! I also heard that this problem is also happening with "Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe". MS needs to the update the slim with a system wide patch, I'm sure it's an easy fix since the workaround solution is simple :-)

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="Plum41"]... Thankfully I found this thread and the temporary workaround solution. Thanks to you my son is very happy now![/quote]

I'm glad. 

[quote user="Plum41"]I also heard that this problem is also happening with "Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe".[/quote]

That's what I was afraid of, other games sharing the same incompatibility with the Xbox 360 Slim model.  Hopefully a fix is created for these and any other games with the same problem.  More importantly, hopefully developers have been notified of the issue so this doesn't happen with future releases.

Facebook.com/360DF
Twitter @360DF

Sorry this didn't help.

My son just tried playing this game today on our Slim and we get the same black screen.  The game works fine on the old fat 360 as of yesterday.  Patch please!

Sorry this didn't help.

PS:  While we have this problem with Spider-Man friend or Foe on the 360 Slim, Mortal Komat vs. DC Universe works fine on the Slim.  Another side note in regards to Spider-Man.  It gives black screen whether or not I have it loaded to the Xbox HD.

Sorry this didn't help.

Was your son able to play using the 'workaround' described in the first post?

Facebook.com/360DF
Twitter @360DF

Sorry this didn't help.

All-  I posted this on another thread but it seems warranted to post again here:

I had the same issue as of 7/25/11. Tried a number of things:

-Tried to play game both from disc AND loaded on HD (250gig S)

-Deleted and reinstalled game on HD 3 separate times

-Tried to load on both my main (live/gold) profile AND an offline profile

-Uninstalled and Reinstalled most recent Live update

-Attempted to play from the dashboard, the guide menu, and the games menu

Each time the effect was the same, after hitting "play game" the screen would turn black and the console/controller would go completely unresponsive, necessitating a hard shutdown. I have not tried playing the game in a non-S model as I no longer have one, nor have I tried the fixes above (given by nCogNeato) as I just stumbled upon them, but will try tonight.

Sorry this didn't help.