soul trapping issues

Hey guys

Just having a bit of trouble with sould trapping, im not a mage so i use the mace of molag bal to trap souls. its worked well in the past but i keep getting errors now saying that i dont have a soul gem large enough.

I have 7 grand sould gems and azures star in my inventory. i understand that i cant trap black creatures souls but this has been going on for ages. also i have never been able to capture any souls in the star. anyone having this same problem?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

[quote user="Sir Azalot"]

Hey guys

Just having a bit of trouble with sould trapping, im not a mage so i use the mace of molag bal to trap souls. its worked well in the past but i keep getting errors now saying that i dont have a soul gem large enough.

I have 7 grand sould gems and azures star in my inventory. i understand that i cant trap black creatures souls but this has been going on for ages. also i have never been able to capture any souls in the star. anyone having this same problem?

[/quote]

Just curious, what are you trying to use Soul Trap on? You should be able to trap any white soul in a Grand Gem if it's empty, but maybe you're trying on a creature that doesn't work for some reason? Also, I know this sounds silly, but are you sure the Gems in your inventory are empty? Because they can only hold one soul at a time. With Azura's Star, you did fix it right? Because when you first find it, it's broken.

Sorry if these questions sound overly basic, I'm just trying to better understand what's going on. I would check and make sure your Gems are empty,and the other thing I would check is that your Mace isn't out of charges.

i dont mind the questions. i think it is just a coincidence that every greater soul i have tried to capture in that last few hours has been a black one

If you have Greater Soul Gems or Azura's Star, you cannot capture black souls. You can only capture souls from creatures/animals. If the target is one of the games playable races (Nord, Elves, Redguards, etc) you have to have a Black Soul Gem or Black Star. Try with some Wolves and see if that works, if it still doesn't then try forging a new Soul Trap Weapon to see if your weapon is glitched. Good luck!

So first its important to remember that Azura's Star and Rated Soul Gems (petty, lesser, greater, grand) can only capture creature souls.  The distinction being that humanoid races (redguard, breton, bosmer, khajit, argonian, etc.) cannot be contained in those gems, these souls can only go into Black Soul Gems or the Black Star.  If the gem is full it will say what level soul is in it after the item's name, for example: Grand Soul Gem (Greater).  This example shows that a greater soul is stored in a grand soul gem, which is kind of a waste, but this can happen if there isn't an Empty Greater Soul Gem in your inventory when you soul trap a creature with a greater soul.  SO if all your soul gems are full you will get this message, also if you do not have a qualifying soul gem for it to go into you can get this message (say you have an empty petty soul gem and soul trap a creature with a greater soul, you won't be able to fit it so the soul will be lost).

I never quite understood soul trapping to be honest. I just attacked wolves and foxes until it said I filled a gem. :(