Son spent money on Roblox

I noticed that my 7-year-old son spent £203 on Robux (digital currency for the game Roblox). He was able to do this because I activated a £1 six-month game pass that came with his XBOX ONE, in doing this XBOX (Microsoft) automatically set up his console so he could spend as much money as he liked using my PayPal account!!!!!

My first response was to email Roblox themselves, I did this less than 3 days after his final Robux transaction. After a longwinded game of email tennis, I was eventually told that XBOX was my point of contact. After contacting XBOX (Microsoft) they said that I needed to give them more information, then they said that I needed to request the refund through my son's account.

I work in the Army and have been classed as a key worker over the past 3-4 months which has made it very hard to follow up and action any refund! I am the only source of income for my family as my wife has temporary given up job to look after our two small children. The incident initially caused us a lot of stress in what should have been the recovering months after Christmas.

I have had no look so far from XBOX (Microsoft) and have just had the same automated email responses from the support team, which I found to be in-personal, rude, un-compassionate and unprofessional.

When I look at other articles on the XBOX community which are related to Children spending parents’ money without being authorised, they all appear to be locked and I am un-able to see their outcomes and actions.

Can people let me know if they have had similar problems and managed to get a refund exception from the 14-day time limit.

Regards,

Jason

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I would try and call support and speak with them about this, it would be better than email. they do have discretion on the time limit as i have had a refund after month due to an issue.

if the childs account is part of your microsoft family you can place restrictions on the account to stop all spending and they then have to ask your for permission which you can decline and they cant spend.

Play More Live More

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your reply, do you have a number that I can use to contact the support staff? I have tried one or two numbers that are posted on the internet, but they are no longer active. Thank you for your advise on locking my son's account down, I managed to sort this when I first realised that he was spending my money. I found it hard to find the right settings page and had to log into different accounts before I lookily found the right page. Do you know of any decent youtube videos which show you how to do this and if so could you post the link as it would be handy for others having similar problems? Thanks again for your reply and will keep an eye out for a customer support UK number and post it on here with my outcome in the future.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry about the spelling and sentencing, just adding as and when!

It now 29/07/2020, My progress so far is getting through to an actual person in accounts and billing.

Ring 0344 800 2400! follow menu till 1 for England option then press 0# 0# 0# until the automated voice puts you through to real operator.

have the account that spent the money handy, in my case it was my son's. They will send a confirmation email and you need to be able to read out the code.

The operator you initially speak to will then hand you over to account's and billing! then they will go through the case with you.

So far when this happens after confirming the code I seem to be getting hung up on or my phone reception is dropping out.

You do feel like they are taking you serious and they are curtious to your situation!

I will post any progress I make to this blog in the future!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Jason

Ok, got through again to accounts and billing! The operator said that he would put me through to XBOX specific (accounts and billing) and after 10 minutes elevator music an automated message popped up saying the XBOX Billing department is currently closed and that the office will be open between 6AM and 10PM Pacific time!!!!

OMG!!!!!!!

Words can not explain how drained and discrminated as a working class UK parent I am feeling at the moment!!!!!

OK! I came back to this after a cup of tea and a more chilled attitude, I phoned the hotline again!

0344 800 2400, I selected 1 so that my call could be recorded and used to improve future services, then I pressed 0# 0# 0# till I was put through to an operator.

I asked to be put through to the Xbox Accounts and Billing straight away, the operator was extremely polite and got me though very quickly.

It was now 2:30 PM in the UK so it was 6:30AM pacific time, which meant the Xbox office had been open for 30 minutes. (Opening hours 6AM TILL 10 PM, you can use the online Time Zone Converter to check this).

I spoke with an extremely helpful operator who took me through how to correctly request my refund!

Step 1: Log into microsoft account that the payments where made from. (My Son's!!!) Open purchase history under billing and find the legacy payments you wish to be refunded for. Copy the information into a word document so you can cut and paste into a refund form!

Step 2: Type into web browser: support.xbox.com

Step 3: Select the Subscription & billing option

Step 4: Press on the down arrow next to Biling & payment updates

Step 5: Select the Request an Xbox digital product refund hyperlink

Step 6: Scroll down and select Request a refund

Step 7: Scroll down and select arrow next to: You made purchase less than 24 hours ago

Step 8: Select submit a refund request hyperlink

This is the form and only way that you can request and process your refund even though it was after the 14 day period, after speaking with the operator they have no way to process a refund through live chat, it has to be through the refund form! the best way to speak to the team is to reply to the email that they send you by one of the Xbox support team staff! not the first email that comes which is automated!

My son made 28 purchases of Robux, this was mainly 400 Robux at a time costing £4.99 each time. The worst and most painful purchase was 4,500 Robux costing me £48.99 (the total came to £203). I cut and pasted all the order numbers and titles to a word document as it made it easy to edit them next to each other seperated by a comma. As my son made 28 purchases I decided to put 7 refund requests in to one form which meant filling out 4 forms. (The forms only allow for so much data to be entered into each box so it is best to seperate over a sensible number of forms depending on how many purchases you need to fit in)

It is important that you type in the title for each purchase seperated by a commar:

Step 9: Fill in the title box: (as the title is on the order number)

400 Robux for Xbox,400 Robux for Xbox,400 Robux for Xbox,4,500 Robux for Xbox,800 Robux for Xbox,400 Robux for Xbox,400 Robux for Xbox

Step 10: fill in the Order number box: (no space, just seperated by comma)

[Mod Removed - PII]

Step 11: Select I did'nt make the purchase from the drop down box

Step 12: Select My Child from the drop down box.

Step 13: In additional details box, add the line:

These are unauthorised purchases made by my child.

Step 14: Change from your childs name to your first name

Jason

Step 15: Change to your email address as this will be the address that Xbox get back to you with.

Hit the submit button!

Step 16: Take a note of the request refference number that appears.

Hope this helps people in the future. I will let you now how my legacy refund pan's out!

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

https://support.xbox.com/help/subscriptions-billing/buy-games-apps/refund-orders  

Click on that link it will walk you through the process

Make sure when you are there you are signed into your sons account it must be done on the account requesting the refund.

Make sure you have the order number

You can find this at account.microsoft.com under payments and billing,

Make sure you put this purchase was made by a minor, it needs to be done no later than 14 days from the purchase, the sooner the better.  

When you add any subscription by a credit card, turn off the renewal option and you can remove the credit card.  

If your son wants money on the account only use gift cards

This may take up to 72 hours to process

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Bandido,

A much needed easy to use explanation of how to process an xbox refund. I have been looking into a legacy refund, obviously after the 14 days given by microsoft. Can someone please explain why 14 days? some children are spending thousands of pounds before theire parents realise, surely anything more than £50 should be given an annual refund policy as it would from highstreet shops or am I wrong to think this way?

Thanks for taking the time to add useful information for anyone that has this problem in the future.

Regards,

Jason

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

They had issues in the past where somebody would buy a game, play it hard for 14 days and then call in and ask for a refund.  If you have several thousand people doing this it becomes an issue. They figure most people would see the charges in that amount of time.  I used to work Xbox support, we did have people that were professional refunders.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We are in the united states but i requested a refund from microsoft w/in the 14 days and let them know that it was an unauthorized charge by a minor and they denied my request for a refund.  I am out over $100 during this pandemic and i have no idea what to do to get my money back. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Bandido,

This is not about buying a game and playing it hard for 14 days, its about XBOX cashing in on Children spending their parents money. The settings no matter how the parent sets up the initial transaction i.e. As an adult, as a teenager, child playing on parent account and even an adult playing on an adult account! Xbox should not allow automatic in App purchases, unless the parent has gone through a process to activate the game purchases which can not be done by accident! With your mind set its no wonder parents are not being refunded, are you a parent?

Who actually would allow their child to free spend 100's, in some cases thousands of pounds/dollars to buy 100 baloon rides, a box looking farrari/lamboghini etc?

Please don't add any more useless input to this forum! unless you admit that people that worked in support where deliberately ignoring parents refund requests and that maybe it was part of some sort of comissions process.

THIS FORUM IS ABOUT CHILDREN SPENING IN APP PURCHASES IN THE GAME ROBLOX!!! does this clarify?

Thanks for input and an insite into the mentality of the staff that work in XBOX support.

Jason

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Bandido,

Sorry about the negative reply, I am just trying to expose something that as a parent, I should never be subjected to, especially from such a large company! £200 is alot of money, to me and any other working class parent. It is only right that figures be released on how much Microsoft are making from the in App game purchases and how many parents dont even get the chance to request a refund due to complexity and 14 day policy.

Kind Regards,

Jason

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

dwgnr,

Thanks for the reply, Hopefully more people will read this and put up simillar outcomes. Can you give more details about the game your child was aloud to spend on? Roblox, Minecraft and the reason they gave for you not qualifying for an instant refund?

Kind Regards,

Jason

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated March 8, 2024 Views 6,722 Applies to: