Somehow renewed membership just by adding new payment option?

Hi,

My XBL account wasn't working earlier.  Got a notice saying that my credit card had expired, and as such couldn't pay for it anymore.  My roommate and I decided to just get a 3 month account, but we wanted to play immediately and the only way we could pay was via PayPal.  Thus, instead of just buying a 3-month membership on eBay or Amazon, we put my roommate's PayPal information as a payment option.

No sooner did we do that than we received a notice saying Microsoft had deducted $60 from my friend's account, for a 12 month gold membership!  Nowhere did we say that we wanted a gold membership... In fact, we never agreed to purchase anything at all.  We expected that after entering the information, we'd be presented with options as to what package we wanted to purchase, but that never happened.

Can someone explain to me what's going on?  We don't want this!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

Was your account set to auto renew?  It sets to auto by default and I'm pretty sure it will automatically renew whatever your last subscription was ( 1 month, 3 month, 1 year), even if you add a new payment option.  To remove auto renew, you need to log into your xbox.com account.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.