Some Useful Tips For Newcomers

- A great easy way to harvest rare and important resources is to make a rock quarry. The best way to go about this is by digging a square grid that's approx. 12 by 12 blocks (length and width) and digging as far down as you are able to. You can dig a quarry pretty much anywhere on the map, but I'd recommend it's by one of your houses (for when it gets dark) and away from water. All you really need is a fairly empty inventory, lots of ladders (at least 30 to 40 to start with), a few pickaxes to start with (stone recommended) and a few swords (you will most likely find a dungeon or two at some point as well as the Underworld). A great thing about the grid design is that, no matter how deep your quarry is, sunlight will still shine down to the bottom.

- Instead of always leaving the safety and comfort of your house to harvest wood, meat or other animal-based resources, why not bring them to you? You can grow trees near or even on top of your house and you can breed animals near or on top of your house. To grow trees, plant a sapling (which can be found by mining tree leaves) in a dirt block AFTER the block has been tilled (you can do this by building a hoe and using it on the dirt block). After the dirt has been tilled and the sapling planted, over time, a tree will grow. Sunlight is necessary and water speeds up the process. Water can be used by building a bucket (requires iron ingots) and collecting water from bodies of water. Repeat as needed.

- You can breed animals by first planting wheat (same process as tree farming, except use seeds instead of saplings). Seeds can be found by mining tall grass or naturally occurring wheat. Once wheat has been grown, build a fenced in area with one side open(fences require sticks) and then harvest the wheat and equip it (hold it in your hands but don't use it) and find a group of animals. Without using it and going up to the animals, the animals will start to follow you. Lead them back to your fenced in area and place the wheat in there. Make sure the animals are in the fenced in area and then close in the fenced area. Soon you will see the animals with floating heart symbols and they will begin to breed. Repeat as needed.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Thanks for the info.

I didn't even know you can breed animals.

I didn't know you could breed in this version. Have you tried it? And I've fenced in animals before and they either change into different animals or disappear all together.

I do love your rock quarry tip; I'll try that on my next map.

I also wasn't aware you could breed animals in this version, I've try using wheat but they don't seem to follow, I managed to get some animals in a double(2 block high) fence pen (as they seem to be able to get out of single pens). But they never bread like they do on PC. As anyone managed to get this to work???

[quote user="NameMonkey Boy"]

I also wasn't aware you could breed animals in this version, I've try using wheat but they don't seem to follow, I managed to get some animals in a double(2 block high) fence pen (as they seem to be able to get out of single pens). But they never bread like they do on PC. As anyone managed to get this to work???

[/quote]

The Xbox 360 Minecraft is based off an older version of the PC Minecraft.

as far as I know breeding isnt in the xbox version, it seems like this person just took tips from the pc version and assumed they would work on the xbox version. I have tried getting animals to follow me with wheat and they dont.

[quote user="Anthonymrb"]The Xbox 360 Minecraft is based off an older version of the PC Minecraft.[/quote]

You don't say........................

can you run water thru a ditch system to constantly water your crops or will they just flood after a while?

and that quarry tip IS nice... im going to do that asap! +1000

I apologize for the animal breeding tip.

I was led to believe that breeding was in Minecraft XBLA. It's not. At least, not yet.

Again, sorry.

[quote user="MSF Big Boss"]

I apologize for the animal breeding tip.

I was led to believe that breeding was in Minecraft XBLA. It's not. At least, not yet.

Again, sorry.

[/quote]

I just plant trees on dirt blocks without tilling them and they still grow into trees. What is the advantage of tilling a dirt block before planting a tree?