Some tips for Undead Parish(spoilers)

Undead elite guards.  Aka red cape knights.

-

These are a pretty common in Undead Parish.  While they can be troublesome at times, particularly one variety, they're nothing to worry about.  There are two versions, one with a buckler and a rapier.  The other a large shield and long sword.  The one with a larger shield and a long sword can be beaten the same as any shielded soldier.  Block his attack and counter with a power attack while he is vulnerable.  It also helps to get behind them after dodging or strafing away from attack. 

-

The other, who has a buckler and a rapier is a different story.  When he goes into a stance with the point of his blade pointing at you, do not attack unless behind him or he is open after striking your shield.  He will parry/riposte you for massive damage.  For whatever reason, I keep running into a glitch where I click RB to attack him while his back is turned but the attack wont trigger for up to a second or so(while he's facing me).  I don't know if this is a common problem, anyone else face this?   

-

Couple extra tips for the end.

-

After you beat the three undead elite guards at the entrance of the cathedral you see a giant knight with a mace standing in the back(great knight I believe?)  he's not so tough to beat, I destroyed him the first time out.  Just avoid his attacks and power attack him.  Also getting close(if you have a good shield) and strafing around him to get in attacks worked for me.  I used the same strategy I used for the Black Knight in Undead Burg.  What you need to watch out for, is the Channeler a floor higher than you hitting you in the back.  Just head back out the way you came to lead the knight outside.  I'd aggro him with an arrow or a spell to avoid any problems.  You'll have room to maneuver and won't have magic raining on you.    

After you beat him there's some stairs leading up on the left.  Next to them is an elevator that takes you back down to Firelink shrine.  Great way to go fill up on 10 flasks and use that item the giant knight was guarding.   

After you dipose of him go upstairs there's another elite guard(with rapier) at the top.  Lead him down the stairs to have a clear space to move.  when that's done you can go back up, then the zombie apocalypse starts use a "hot gates" type tactic to lead them into the narrow hallway and not get surrounded.  If you have some firebombs or aoe spells use them cause they will bunch up.  I didn't bother and just used a long sword thrusting attack to hit several at once and not strike the walls(repairs get expensive).  Just don't attack when one of them is doing that wild flurry attack, you'll get knocked off guard and another will pounce on you.  The channeler himself is a pretty easy fight, I was kinda dissapointed.  Just dodge his magic attacks and power attack him to hell.    Another strategy is to hide behind pillars and shoot arrows at him while still on the bottom floor.  Just head shot him a few times.  The advantage here is he won't be there to use a spell buffing the zombies. 

-

Another elite guard w/ rapier awaits.  You know what to do.  Go up here to find the Gold knight locked in a cell.  You can free him or not.  He's kind of a Richard Peter Johnson so it's your call.  I haven't confirmed this but I hear he becomes a problem later.  You'll have to break through a partially damaged door. 

-

My first time through I got a troll message indicating a trap and saw a corpse standing in a barrel.  At the time I left it alone, but if you roll into it there is a humanity drop to be found. 

-

The boss.  I don't want to spoil this.  My suggestion, get familiar with the area and go through a few times.  Once you get it down, head down to the firelink bonfire and use your humanity to reverse hollowing.  Head back up and summon help for the boss if you need it.  I'd fight him a couple times before using the humanity.  Just remember to snatch up your souls before he reaches you.  I stayed close to the entrance and it wasn't a problem for me.   

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

Wall o' text!    Allow me to correct.  LoL

[quote user="Baron Coldgrave"]

Undead elite guards.  Aka red cape knights.

These are a pretty common in Undead Parish.  While they can be troublesome at times, particularly one variety, they're nothing to worry about.  There are two versions, one with a buckler and a rapier.  The other a large shield and long sword.  The one with a larger shield and a long sword can be beaten the same as any shielded soldier.  Block his attack and counter with a power attack while he is vulnerable.  It also helps to get behind them after dodging or strafing away from attack.

The other, who has a buckler and a rapier is a different story.  When he goes into a stance with the point of his blade pointing at you, do not attack unless behind him or he is open after striking your shield.  He will parry/riposte you for massive damage.  For whatever reason, I keep running into a glitch where I click RB to attack him while his back is turned but the attack wont trigger for up to a second or so(while he's facing me).  I don't know if this is a common problem, anyone else face this?  

Couple extra tips for the end.

After you beat the three undead elite guards at the entrance of the cathedral you see a giant knight with a mace standing in the back(great knight I believe?)  he's not so tough to beat, I destroyed him the first time out.  Just avoid his attacks and power attack him.  Also getting close(if you have a good shield) and strafing around him to get in attacks worked for me.  I used the same strategy I used for the Black Knight in Undead Burg.  What you need to watch out for, is the Channeler a floor higher than you hitting you in the back.  Just head back out the way you came to lead the knight outside.  I'd aggro him with an arrow or a spell to avoid any problems.  You'll have room to maneuver and won't have magic raining on you. 

After you dipose of him go upstairs there's another elite guard(with rapier) at the top.  Lead him down the stairs to have a clear space to move.  when that's done you can go back up, then the zombie apocalypse starts use a "hot gates" type tactic to lead them into the narrow hallway and not get surrounded.  If you have some firebombs or aoe spells use them cause they will bunch up.  I didn't bother and just used a long sword thrusting attack to hit several at once and not strike the walls(repairs get expensive).  Just don't attack when one of them is doing that wild flurry attack, you'll get knocked off guard and another will pounce on you.  The channeler himself is a pretty easy fight, I was kinda dissapointed.  Just dodge his magic attacks and power attack him to hell.    Another strategy is to hide behind pillars and shoot arrows at him while still on the bottom floor.  Just head shot him a few times.  The advantage here is he won't be there to use a spell buffing the zombies.

After you beat him there's some stairs leading up on the left.  Next to them is an elevator that takes you back down to Firelink shrine.  Great way to go fill up on 10 flasks and use that item the giant knight was guarding.  

Another elite guard w/ rapier awaits.  You know what to do.  Go up here to find the Gold knight locked in a cell.  You can free him or not.  He's kind of a Richard Peter Johnson so it's your call.  I haven't confirmed this but I hear he becomes a problem later.  You'll have to break through a partially damaged door.

My first time through I got a troll message indicating a trap and saw a corpse standing in a barrel.  At the time I left it alone, but if you roll into it there is a humanity drop to be found.

The boss.  I don't want to spoil this.  My suggestion, get familiar with the area and go through a few times.  Once you get it down, head down to the firelink bonfire and use your humanity to reverse hollowing.  Head back up and summon help for the boss if you need it.  I'd fight him a couple times before using the humanity.  Just remember to snatch up your souls before he reaches you.  I stayed close to the entrance and it wasn't a problem for me.   

[/quote]

Thanks, I forgot the spaces I added are deleted without a dash in between.  I fixed it before realizing you'd done that.  thanks!

Pro-Tip for Xbox forums:

Shift+Enter = Line break

(I only recently found this out myself too.  LoL)