Soldier class effectiveness?

I've always played the Soldier class since ME 1. Part of what made the soldier so versatile in ME 2 was the fact that he was able to utilize ALL weapons at his disposal. This added alot of variation the the gameplay as I was able to switch between the Eviscerator, Widow, Carnifex, and Mattock respectively. With this new weight and power cooldown feature, that entire concept is obsolete.  Major dissappointment for Soldier classes. I'm starting to question how effective this class will be in the long run, and whether or not it can hold it's own on Insanity. Sniping with the Widow and using adrelanine rush was my favorite way to approach combat... it was also quite satisfying to charge in with the Eviscerator, hit adrenaline rush and blast enemies away. This is quite a let down.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I agree. A large part of the ME2 Soldier's effectiveness was his ability to spam Adrenaline Rush while using heavy, high-damage weapons. This definitely reduces the class's strength. 

On a side note... how are they planning on fixing the face importer mess? They should release a free DLC pack of all omissions pertaining to the character customization. I'm talking about the skintones, eyes, and hairstyles that are critical in retaining the original look of our Shepard. Even after creating a very close replica of my Shepard, I'm not convinced its the same dude... I'm pretty sure many feel the same way.

[quote user="llX NoFear Xll"]

On a side note... how are they planning on fixing the face importer mess? They should release a free DLC pack of all omissions pertaining to the character customization. I'm talking about the skintones, eyes, and hairstyles that are critical in retaining the original look of our Shepard. Even after creating a very close replica of my Shepard, I'm not convinced its the same dude... I'm pretty sure many feel the same way.

[/quote]

I didn't have trouble with the importer (didn't even know they omitted things that they had in ME2 until you said it), although about halfway through the game I realized my Shepard is uglier than a monkey's armpit. I'd like to see scars come back, though, I wanted to give my dude a nice, vicious looking one. 

I find the soldier class to be extremely effective.  I'm able to carry a sniper, assault rifle, pistol, and smg and still have my cool down rate at +185%.  So essentially I spam adrenaline mode and destroy everything.  Not to mention I carry 6 grenades that do the dirty work when things get dicy.  I've done 22 of the 27 missions on insane and have had no problems at all.  The only slightly difficult part I've encountered is the end of the geth base section when you fight the primes.  So if your a fan of the soldier class, I wouldn't worry about using it on insane.  Also it's worth mentioning that insane difficulty is a lot easier in this game than it was in Mass Effect 2.

You must be carrying very light weight weapons then... If i wanted to take the Widow, Carnifex, Mattock, and Eviscerator to battle I'm pretty sure I couldn't do it. Not without the -200% cooldown. Something else I noticed is the lack of time dilation... in Mass Effect 2 you were able to upgrade adrenaline rush to a point where enemies seem like they would stand still. Not only was it very effective but it was also visually satisfying to see all aspects of combat in slow motion. So far... all i've seen from this game is a downgrade from ME 2.

I still use the default weapons for the most part.  I got that Turian sniper/assualt rifle hybrid (will check the name in a sec when I go back on) and that's about it.

I'd like to know how you equip all those weapons at once and still get 200% cooldown...  I have the smallest +5 assault rifle equipped, and it still sits at 184%.  Are there weight mods I don't know about?

[quote user="Praetorian VIII"]I got that Turian sniper/assualt rifle hybrid (will check the name in a sec when I go back on) and that's about it.[/quote]The Phaeston?

[quote user="Back Lot Basher"]Are there weight mods I don't know about?[/quote]Only SMGs have the Ultralight Materials mod which reduces the weight of the weapon. Other than that simply upgrading the weapon will reduce the weight, though not by much.

[quote user="CrypticZer0"]

[quote user="Praetorian VIII"]I got that Turian sniper/assualt rifle hybrid (will check the name in a sec when I go back on) and that's about it.[/quote]The Phaeston?

[quote user="Back Lot Basher"]Are there weight mods I don't know about?[/quote]Only SMGs have the Ultralight Materials mod which reduces the weight of the weapon. Other than that simply upgrading the weapon will reduce the weight, though not by much.

[/quote]

No, the other one.  It's classified as a sniper rifle but the description says it's a hybrid and was originally developed by the Turians.

It's called the M-13 Raptor.  I bought it on the Citadel, think it's from the Batarian seller in the Holding Area in case you're interested.

I hadn't noticed the weight bar until this thread.  So when I next played, I decided to fiddle around.  I noticed it's impossible to get a posative cooldown number if you've got all 4 slots filled.  The heaviest weapons are the shotguns.  I had +37% cooldown with no shotgun equipped at all but when I equipped my level 2 Katana it went up to -44% and into the red.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact I've only got weapons to level 2 or 3?

I meant 5 slots.  I forgot I haven't got an SMG yet...