So the Lancer...tell me again how Thermal Clips are better?

One of the bitterest pills to swallow with Mass Effect 2 was the introduction of Thermal Clips.

Now of course they were introduced to add an 'ammo' mechanic to the new style combat but it was in-universe explanation for them that never worked for me.

Apparently they allowed people to put more rounds down field at a faster pace. Never mind the logistics of now having to ship thermal clips every where or that if you ran out, your high tech gun was now a club, just being able to send more bullets was the best. Never mind if you stayed out of cover to fire like that you'd be dead in an instant.

Though I guess they forgot about the HMW (Spectre) weapons.

Now we have the Lancer. An older weapon, with the cool-down mechanic, able to take all the upgrades of modern guns and hit with the same power.

Yeah I'm going to have to go with Conrad on the stupidity of the thermal clip system.

[View:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEnIQWXCgzQ]

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

It now seems like an age old debate, but I never really had a big problem with either ammo system.  What's nice about ME3 is that we have the best of both worlds...:-)

[quote user="Arkham99"]

It now seems like an age old debate, but I never really had a big problem with either ammo system.  What's nice about ME3 is that we have the best of both worlds...:-)

[/quote]

No, we don't. Not even remotely to the best of both worlds. There is nothing in ME2 or ME3 like having a HMWP X Pistol with Frictionless Materials X and Master Marksman active. I don't know how much you played with Pistols as a soldier in the first game, since most people tend to go with Assault Rifles when playing soldier class, but what I described to you above actually exceeds the damage output of any Assault Rifle in damage output, including the HMWA X rifle with Master Overkill active.

The recharge weapons we have in ME3 (Lancer, Collector Sniper Rifle, Collector SMG, and the Particle Rifle) don't even come close to their ME1 counterparts, IMHO.

What I meant is that we now have considerably more recharge weapons than we did in the last game, there's no use comparing weapons from the first, or second game for that matter, none of them are the same.  If you prefer the recharge system, or the thermal clips, you now have options so yes, we DO have "the best of both worlds"...:-)

No, we don't have the best of both worlds, Arkham. You're correct in that we have options. But that's it, only options. The recharge weapons in ME3 cannot be considered the best of the previous system.

The fact that "the HMWA X rifle with Master Overkill active", capable of easily taking down a Colossus without help from your squad, was retired after the first game was a good thing.  The 'Insanity' mode for this game, save for a select few brief moments, was the easiest 'Insanity' setting of the trilogy, probably shouldn't even be called 'Hardcore' and you think a weapon such as this should've been included?  The topic was about the ammo systems, not the weapons themselves, and in that vein we DO have "the best of both worlds" with this game...:-)

Loved Marksmen for the pistol in ME 1. It's pretty lackluster for the Soldier in ME 3.

Lancer sucks try the collector smg.

[quote user="BAD 2020"]Lancer sucks try the collector smg.[/quote]Rather hard to do in the single player.

Not if you try really hard.LOL. Lancer sucks in either play mode. N7 , please!

[quote user="BAD 2020"]Not if you try really hard.[/quote]There is no way to get the weapon in single player unless you are willing to become a modder. Somehow I don't think the Collector SMG is worth a ban.