Slow game download speed

I started downloading Elder Scrolls Online on Xbox one, the download was extremely slow. My download speed dropped to 0.27mbps at one point.  I tried all of the troubleshooting to try and resolve the issue, including cancelling the install and starting again.

Currently the console is telling me the DL speed is 8.44mbps, Upload is 0.97mbps and Latency is 157ms. 6 hours after starting the second install, the game is only 19% complete and moving at about 1% per hour!

Is this a problem with my internet connection or is it normal for games to download this slow?

I've just spent £62 on a game and fear it will take a week (or longer) to install.

I've downloaded games before and the installs were slow, but this is ridiculous.

Can anyone help?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 593 Applies to:

Hi,

Most Xbox One games are very large, Elder Scrolls OnLine is no exception.  The total download is 55GB.  On your connection - and assuming you could maintain a constant speed - a game this size should take around 15 hours or so, give or take.

Is your console connected via WiFi?  Have you tried or are capable of making your console have a wired connection?

Slow downloads can be caused by a number of things.  Your ISP should be your first contact.  Slow downloads can be caused by issues or outages with your service provider and the distance your are from the exchange or the amount of subscribers are using the same service.  A poor WiFi signal caused by distance from your router, or general interference from other WiFi networks could also cause major slow downs, hence the wired connection suggestion above. 

Your ISP may be 'throttling' your connection if it detects a long period of downloading activity.  Microsoft may sometimes throttle downloads, however, since you already have quite a slow connection, this is unlikely to be the case with you.

As I said, at around 8mb/s you won't be downloading large installs like Elder Scrolls Online in less than 10hrs.  It's just not possible.  However, downloads like these should not take days. 

If possible try connecting your console via a wired connection.  If that isn't possible, you may need to contact your service provider.

In the meantime, please take a look at this guide from the Xbox Support pages:

http://support.xbox.com/xbox-one/networking/troubleshoot-slow-game-or-app-downloads-on-xbox-one

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I just bought that game a couple of days ago. You're not alone.

It took me an over night system run for it to download (About 19 hours) So yeah... It's a huge of a game.

Sorry this didn't help.

Are you in the UK?

Some of the UK servers are faulty and have been for months.

My ISP which is BT connects me to one of these faulty servers when i'm using my ISP's default DNS servers.

I don't know if the fault lies with BT or MS but nothing is being done about it. Every time there is a popular download like a new game or a games with gold download the servers slow right down and sometime even refuse to download.

I have found that I can solve this problem by using a different DNS servers.

I now use openDNS and now download speeds are normal. But if I switch back to the BT DNS servers download speeds drop massively.

If you are in the UK you can use open DNS by going to the consoles network settings, selecting advanced settings -> DNS settings -> Manual

then for Primary DNS enter 208.67.222.222

and for secondary DNS enter 208.67.220.220

after doing this press B twice to save

you now need to restart the console. You can do this by going to the power and startup settings and select restart now.

Before restarting it might be a good idea to cancel any downloads you may have going to make sure that when you redownload you will be connected to a different server. Although if you already downloaded a lot then you might want to skip this and just hope it connects you to a different server anyway after restarting

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello

I have a couple of problems on my Xbox one and was Hoping some one could help.

My Xbox one takes forever to update my games , and my network stats are really good

My downloadspeed is 159,39 mbs

Uploadspeed 19,90 mbs

Packetloss 0%

mTU 1480

Latentie 154ms

Nat type :open

My network is

Behind a cone nat

Why is my update taking 1,5 or 2 hours to download

When i check my bandwith USe iTS only 5mbs and going down to 3,5 or 4

Is There anything i can change or settings i could change in order to get a better connection or better download speed

I turned of al mobile devices and anything else that could intervere with the connection

Sorry this didn't help.

Try changing the  DNS settings.

Try OpenDNS like in my post above.

You don't say what country you are in so it might be better if you go to www.opendns.com/.../opendns-ip-addresses

to make sure you use the correct DNS settings for your country.

There are other DNS's you can try as well like Google DNS

Sorry this didn't help.