skyrim slow when checking items or looking in chest

Recently it has been talking quite a few seconds to look at my items or check a chest or loot a corpse instead of doing it right away. It has also has been taking a long time to put items on or off. I have tried installing to my hard drive and cleaning the disk and starting a new save, but it is still pretty slow. If anybody knows what the problem please tell me how to fix it. Thanks

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 8 Applies to:

I only get this problem when I go to the chest in my House in Whiterun as I have stored so much stuff in it.  I haven't noticed it when I search bodies or chests in dungeons except when I get lag in the game and it effects everything that I do. I have the game on my HDD aswell.

Is your game "Autosaving" (upper right corner) when slowing?  I've turned off some Autosaving option and had a slight increase in speed.

I think there's a lag when you have too much stuff stored in a chest...time to smith/craft it and sell it.  

You have excessive amount of $h1t on your body. Just because it doesn't weigh anything, doesn't mean it doesn't add up. I was having the same problem with mine. Then I stored 32,769 Riften Jail Keys in a sack and the Problem was fixed! :D

Happy with Skyrim again!

[quote user="MUDSKIPPA"]

You have excessive amount of $h1t on your body. Just because it doesn't weigh anything, doesn't mean it doesn't add up. I was having the same problem with mine. Then I stored 32,769 Riften Jail Keys in a sack and the Problem was fixed! :D

Happy with Skyrim again!

[/quote]

Wow! 32769 keys! That's impressive. Empty things out and you'll see a difference. It's a (number) of things in the barrel or drawer that slows it down also.

It's likely something in your inventory. Try putting everything you're carrying in a chest and then taking it back one item at a time and see if it's a certain item causing the lag. Also, check how many keys you're carrying, I have heard what MUDSKIPPA said before where the problem was a bug that caused keys to duplicate in inventory.