Skyrim lagging and freezing.

I have about 3 saves each for 3 characters, turned off autosaves, and cleared the games system at game startup. The game is still lagging quite a bit and randomly freezing. I want to clear the xbox system but have never done this so I would like to know if clearing the xbox will delete my Hearthfire dlc. Will I lose my two Hearthfire homes if I do this?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

No it wont clear any saves. It's a good step to take.

Make sure you dont keep too many save files. I try to keep mine under 10.  You can save as many times as you want but delete older save files. Clearing the cache wont cause you to lose anything.

To clear cache

1. Go to the system blade on the dashboard
2. Go to the right to Memory
3. Press Y
4. Click "Clear Cache"
5. Click Yes

Thanks folks. I've had my 360 slim since they came out and have never cleared my system cache. Mainly because I read a while back, somewhere in xbox forums, that you would have to download any dlc you have again. I don't want to have to rebuild my manor houses.I appreciate the info.

I can assure you that DLC content will not be lost if you clear your system cache. I'm way over 750 hours into this one character and I clear every time I start my X-box. You can also press the RB, LB, and X on your controller to do the game itself while starting up. I won't guarantee that action as I never realize anything happening but it has been suggested on the Skyrim forums at Bethesda. I do it also just for grins. Save as often as you like but I did notice less crashing "after" I turned autosave "off". Something about that autosave feature that used to mess things up for me. JMHO  Skyrim is the only game I do it for just in case your wondering.

Thanks angelus. I'm going to do it...I'm sure my xbox will thank me for it. :) I've had xboxes since they first came out and only had 1 die on me in all these years. Guess I'm just an old worry wart, always afraid of messing stuff up.

Nothing to worry about at all. In fact you and your 360 will thank us after you do it.  

It's patch updates that would get wiped, not content.

That's actually a good thing, especially with a game like Skyrim, as it's better to wipe the older patch out before installing a new one. Many glitches have been caused like that.

Cache clearing should be done every few months. Not constantly, as there are some games with achievements that require an overall amount of doing something, and that clears the counter in those cases.

[quote user="Jameser78"]

It's patch updates that would get wiped, not content.

That's actually a good thing, especially with a game like Skyrim, as it's better to wipe the older patch out before installing a new one. Many glitches have been caused like that.

Cache clearing should be done every few months. Not constantly, as there are some games with achievements that require an overall amount of doing something, and that clears the counter in those cases.

[/quote]

Also thanks Jameser! I haven't seen it yet but I'll certainly keep it in mind for other games. I've been doing mine about once a week for about 2 months now.

Thanks so much guys for the help. Whenever I come here with a question you folks are great, unlike some other forum sites where they treat you like an idiot. Much appreciated. :)