Skyrim Freezing Constantly

Ok so my Skyrim disc is very scratched and unfortunately I never downloaded it to my hard drive, so when ever I play Skyrim it will freeze about every 20-30 Minutes, I was just wondering if the Games on Demand version freezes as often as a new disc version or if it freezes less. Any help is much appreciated, Thanks!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I think skyrim freezing on your console is directly related to the scratched up disc, you could try borrowing a buddies copy or renting a copy to install to your HDD then simply using your banged up copy to play it only needs to spin briefly on startup so you might get away with using the banged up copy. Otherwise I would put a great vote of confidence that the games on demand won't freeze up your console at all.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Since this is a game that has normal reported freezing issues at times, regardless of version, I don't think anyone can promise anything.

I do recommend trying CAPRICASICKS suggestion of borrowing a copy to install with. My Two Worlds II disc is wrecked, but I have it installed so the disc works for recognition. Although I do warn you that this tactic may not work with Skyrim, as the game used a newer compression system that still runs a lot off disc even when installed.

If you do end up having to go for a Games on Demand version, which would require purchasing, you can post on the local Xbox.com Skyrim forum, and there are people there who can give you advice on how to limit freeze occurances.

Sorry this didn't help.

I had to install the game on my system and it helped cut back thr freezing.

It would still freeze every now and than if i played for hours on end.

I would recommend trying to install it first and see if that helps or getting the disk cleaned. Since it is a big open world game that usually has a hand in it freezing.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have The GoD version of Skyrim and it doesnt freeze nearly as much as when I had the disc version. A while back Amazon had a cheap GoD version of Skyrim for like 29.99try snagging a copy from there before going with the MS store

Sorry this didn't help.

Installing the game to the HDD makes a huge difference, that and clearing my 360S's cache on a semi regular basis almost eliminated Skyrim freezes for me.

Sorry this didn't help.

@x12796 I have mine installed to my elite and have never had issues with skyrim freezing since.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, i know that Redboxs have skyrim in stock, simply rent one for a day and install it then run your damaged copy. You should try to improve your damaged copy as much as possible, using a natural cleaner, and a glass cleaning disc. Please blow gently into the disc drive, and that may help clean as well. Problem solved, or maybe, please respond if ot didn't.

Sorry this didn't help.

I've played the GoD version of Skyrim quite a bit and only experience a random crash (freeze) here and there.  The "trophy room" in Hearthfire crashes almost constantly but from what I've read that's a bug on Bethesda's end (I'm guessing it has something to do with item limits).  Outside of that particular incident I've had the game freeze maybe 3 times in 80+ hours of gameplay.

I believe it was said but as with all Bethesda games this generation it's important to clear the cache every so often.  Their titles are vast worlds that track an insanely high amount of variables, corruption is almost a given considering that.

Sorry this didn't help.

I would just try getting a retail disc and installing it on your hard drive and clearing cache too.

Sorry this didn't help.

Would recommend just installing a friends disk, or if you can your own disk as it should run fine after installation although Skyrim does have its fair share of freezes and crashes.

Sorry this didn't help.