Skyrim Disc Problems

Hello Fellow Gamers.

Well then Community, what can you suggest for this?

I recently bought the new Elder Scrolls game by Bethesda, Skyrim, and proceeded to play it for a couple of days on my old XBOX 360 Pro (60GB HD, White covering/Chrome Disc Drive). For the first few days, it seemed to run just fine and I was very satisfied with gameplay. Then, after three days, the console began to report that it was unable to "read the Disc" when I attempted to load my game saves (any Skyrim game save).

Thinking it was a small problem, first I shut down my console and restarted, and came up with the same problem. Then I thought to try a different disc, and plugged in my copy of Halo: Reach. This game ran fine, and I quickly assumed it a was a problem with the Skyrim disc (although it was unscratched and in near new condition). I went on to trade the disc in at the local Gamestop, and then ran a BRAND NEW disc on the console (Skyrim) and came up with the same problem.

Visiting the support site, I used the options available to me and searched this problem. 

1. Inspect and Clean your disc: (BRAND NEW disc)

2. Clear your System Cache: This was interesting. (Temporary Fix)

After clearing my cache, I attempted to simply run the game. The console then opened a window saying there was a system update available, and the after that, a game update for Skyrim itself ( DID ANYONE ELSE GET THIS? 7:30 AM 12/29/11 ). After downloading this, the game ran for a while, then crashed in game using the same "Cannot read disc" message. 

3. Remove your Hard Drive: ( No hard drive )

4. Remove your memory units or flash drives: I was somewhat surprised by this. (Self Destructive)

I removed the drives ( 2GB USB) that I had been using for storage on my console, and then attempted to run the game. The game ran, but I couldn't by this method use my old saves, or save because I had no memory unit. This seems self defeating. Then, taking the support center's advice, I loaded my files onto an alternative USB Storage device (also 2GB) and came up with the familiar "Cannot read disc" message when attempting to load my game saves.

5. Check the Disc Type and Region: ( ...Duh... )

6. Try another game disc: (Previous)

I had already tried this earlier (read above in the post), and concluded it was nothing pertaining to that particular disc because of the similar problems with a brand new copy of the disc.

SO! I have exhausted The XBOX Support options... Now what? To the Internet!

After searching on a couple sites and reading some posts from this forum, I thought of another solution: perhaps there is a recent corrupt gamesave that is blocking my access! Sure enough, after digging into the Skyrim memory, there it was, one corrupt gamesave. After deleting the file, and other extraneous files, I gave Skyrim another chance. For a period, it worked, and then failed to load again after I tried to load any gamesave ( this is after turning off the console, and then returning to play later ). Checking again for a corrupt gamesave, I was dissapointed and found none this time, and proceeded to again delete extraneous saves, hoping for a positive result. 

Unfortunately nothing came of that! "Cannot Read Disc"

Thanks for your suggestions,

LateBread25

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 79 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

In your description, it says you both have and don't have a HDD, which is it?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I actually lack and HDD. Sorry for the confusion.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, I have had the same problem with a brand new Xbox 360 game yesterday! It's just dance 3 on kinetic and pulled it straight out of the packet and says "disc unreadable" error code 03-08-00.

I proceeded with a disc clean then a cache then Xbox support said it was my hard drive. So the disc plays without the hard drive but when I transferred my storage to a memory stick and put that in with no hard drive it says disc unreadable again.

The disc plays on my brothers xbox 360 and all of my other games work so I was boggled. So it's not the disc. Not my hard drive.

I did some research and found out many people have been having this same problem! They have narrowed it down to the latest piracy update on the Xbox 360.

So Microsoft needs to get their act together and do an emergency update to fix this or there will be a lot up unhappy customers! I have sent a complaint via phone and this is my online one so everyone with this problem needs to do so. I have some links for people that are interest in reading this same problem form other gamers.

forums.xbox.com/.../901238.aspx

forums.xbox.com/.../147776.aspx

Sorry this didn't help.

The PS3 is the way to go if you love watching DVDs, and HD gaming or go online. And the XBox 360 slime is the way to go if you have a desire for clear version gaming. 

Sorry this didn't help.

just a thought. try backing up any important files on you flash memory and reformat. see if that fixes it.

Sorry this didn't help.

Try borrowing a HDD and see if that makes a difference.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah I reformatted when I transferred all my data over to a memory stick and yes still didn't work. Havnt tried another hard drive in my Xbox. I don't think it would make a difference but could try it.

Sorry this didn't help.

Try what alt said. It may rule out a possible HDD malfunction. Also try saving to an external device like a USB flash drive.

Sorry this didn't help.

I know this post is old, but perhaps someone might run into it. Some games give problems like this when loading from the "My Home" slide or whatever it is called. If, instead, you go to the "My Games" screen and look for your game and hit (X) for "More Game Details"... and then hit "Play Game"... it will usually force the load through.

I had this problem with Skyrim and another game... I forget whether it was Oblivion GOTY or Fallout 3. Anyway... it's a little hassle, but nothing too serious to be lazy about. All games should work perfectly... some don't.

Sorry this didn't help.

I ran into the same problem with skyrim, and after ALOT of digging and testing, I found there are multiple reasons (at least in my case):

1. Certain locations in game could create corrupt saves when you save thereThese saves themselves would yield the dirty/damaged disk error. Even after I deleted the save the error would persist. At the time I used a 4gb flashdrive for storage, so I removed it and the game would play. However, I too had no other device for storage so I cleared the cache, and like you said, temporary fix. I then decided too look at the contents of the flash drive on my computer and found an "invisible" file that was the corrupt skyrim save. Upon deletion skyrim ran wonderfully.

2. Flash drive didn't meet xbox performance recommendations (a message will alert you of this problem when you format it on the xbox).

3. Dusty disk drive.If you or your family smoke this may be the case. Just blow it out with a little cool air and it should be fine (Nintendo cartridges anyone?).

Hope it helps.

Sorry this didn't help.