Skyrim Co-op: Would that ever be possible or is the world too vast?

As I've been playing and meeting followers and companions, I kept thinking how cool it would be if this game had co-op. My husband is playing too and I'd love it if we could help each other out on quests.

Then I looked at the scope of the game and it made me wonder if co-op in Skyrim would be impossible? I've seen some glitches and loading issues, I'm guessing because the world is so vast. Would co-op make that worse.

I'm just curious if it could work or if people would even want it.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 17 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

The issue I have with that is something I like to dub Two Worlds Syndrome. Two Worlds tried the RPG co-op idea as well, but they really failed to deliver it. The online was laggy, the system would kick you out all the time, and it wasn't fun at all. I have a feeling if the guys making Two Worlds had just focused completely on single player, they would've made a better game overall. There's so much content in Elder Scrolls games, I'd be concerned that any attempt to integrate co-operative play would require sacrifices in other, crucial areas. 

In before Taldarin comes in and stinks up this thread with his anti-multiplayer hate speech.  

On topic, I would love to have ONE of my friends come and adventure with me.  However, it would only create more bugs and glitches.  Also, adding multiplayer to games is a lot more difficult than one might think.

I reccomend playing a massively multiplayer online game instead.

Two Worlds 2 did a much better job with the co-op. Makes me wonder what Bethesda could do. The way the game world loads, they would almost have to implement a distance limit (like in the earlier halo games). Maybe the guest would teleport closer to the host if he got to far. they could do it. And all the nay-Sayers would still camp out at the midnight launch.

*sees "The Executioner" slice tai0316*

No, just no.  Mass Effect 3 at least managed to make it work, but SKYRIM co-op would either be ****, laggy, or make your xbox explode, implode, then dissolve.

Might as well just redo Fable 1 with a larger campeign and better graphics (like that is going to happen).  Wait....that's actually a good idea.....

No, just no, leave a perfectly fine series as it is. I suggest Fable, but TES should always remain singleplayer.

Bethesda has stated many times that The Elder Scrolls games will never be multiplayer. They'd rather put all the focus into making the best singular game they can.

Grand Theft Auto and Red Dead Redemption did a pretty decent job when it came down to multiplayer, but neither were of the same scope as Skyrim.  When you have a world so huge and vast, I think any kind of multiplayer would taint the entire aspect of the game.  You are supposed to be Dragonborn, completely unique, and if you have several Dragonborns running around setting stuff on fire, it could dilute your feeling of importance in the game world, which feels like a huge part of the game for me.

After seeing how horribly Fable integrated their co-op, I have been completely turned off for any such implementation in any other game of its type.  Sure, it was relatively fun to take a friend out and beat up some bandits, but the camera was awful and if your partner lagged behind the slightest, you were stuck.  You had these awful stock characters if you did local co-op, and it just felt like a sloppy, last minute addition than an actual part of the gameplay experience. 

Now, if Bethesda could avoid such casualties and actually make a fun and engrossing co-op/multiplayer feature, then good luck to them.  But too often games with great potential have been ruined by awful integration of multiplayer.  When you have companies trying to perfect everything for online play, the most important part (the single-player campaign) gets left out in the dust.  While I doubt Todd Howard or the company would let something like that happen, for now, I think, it's too much of a risk to take.

However, the next Elder Scrolls game most likely won't come along until the next generation of consoles, where the kind of tech that may be implementable would make co-op fun and possible. But that's a long way off, and I'm sure there's going to be a thousand other threads on forums with die-hard fans debating into the early hours of the morning.  

(As a side note, I really loved Demon's Souls/Dark Souls implementation of their online play, but something like that would never work in a game like Skyrim.  I think, for now, until we can really nail down a good multiplayer mode, it should stay out of RPGs.)

I would love co-op in the elder scrolls or any game Bethesda makes! They make great games I think they would be able to make it work! But sadly I think they will just stick with single player.

There have been attempts on modding both TES and FO to support multiplayer. All the mods have failed more or less. TES just isn't made for multiplayer. You'd have to make too drastic changes to make it succesful.