skill points, guns and e weapons

i'm sure this has been been hashed and rehashed but I couldn't really find the answer when I searched. My first guy was heavy melee and I was spreading points too thin. At lvl 10 I started a nes one trying to go heavy lockpick, speech and guns. It didn't do it from the start screen so I adjusted it.

Later I read that if you do that you lose a skill, so...I started another. This one is now heavy lockpick, speech, energy weapons and science. I'm lvl 7 and pretty happy with the way it worked out but I have a question.

Is there a big difference in gameplay between concentrating on energy weapons or guns? I wanted to go with guns but I hated wasting all the points. Now the plasma rifle is doing a good job for now and i see a bright future, so bright I have to wear... I just can't say it!

Any opinions?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

[quote user="StrictlyDigital"]

No, my character is around 20 or so. I reloaded this character at lvl 13 to start the House run and he was already at Melee 70 Unarmed 60. I've focused on Repair and Survival for the related perks. Jury Rigging is a must.

[/quote]Definitely.  Helps fix the condition mechanic (which I absolutely hate)

No, my character is around 20 or so. I reloaded this character at lvl 13 to start the House run and he was already at Melee 70 Unarmed 60. I've focused on Repair and Survival for the related perks. Jury Rigging is a must.

Do you have all of the DLCs/is your character not at level 30 yet?  Those seem kind of low for primary combat skills (the Melee Weapons and Unarmed do anyway)

No doubt. That's why I use guns as well ;)

Melee is 70, Unarmed 65 and Guns is maxed at 50. I don't want to go over 50 because I focus on hand to hand but there's plenty of times where I need to whip out Paciencia and the Medicine Stick to handle bigger groups.

[quote user="StrictlyDigital"]The only real problem I have is with packs of human characters like Legion hit squads. When you have a couple of 12.7mm SMGs tearing into you even Knock Knock isn't enough.[/quote]Well that's the disadvantage of using melee weapons.  It helps keep the game balanced though

I agree, melee weapons dominate and are a lot more fun. When you get the knock down perk it's silly how you can beat an enemy into oblivion. The only real problem I have is with packs of human characters like Legion hit squads. When you have a couple of 12.7mm SMGs tearing into you even Knock Knock isn't enough.

[quote user="ChainSmokingBob"]I notice that Melee weapons seem ridiculously good in New Vegas, though believe me when I say that isn't a problem ; )[/quote]Well, Obsidian made a few improvements (more powerful melee weapons, more options in VATS), but melee weapons should be good.  Otherwise, it's more of a handicapped playthrough than a worthwhile (and fun) alternative

I still wish you could punch people in the groin like in the good old days though

It is SO badass. I love other weapons too, but that's right up there as my favourite.

Also, it is very difficult to get, though not so much if you go in there with a serious Melee weapon already, like a Sledgehammer or Super Sledge. I notice that Melee weapons seem ridiculously good in New Vegas, though believe me when I say that isn't a problem ; )

I have tried the Ballistic Fish but I didn't get much satisfaction out of it personally :S I don't like the animations or huge bulk of the power fists.

Yeah man, Knock Knock is just plain sick. :)

Tell me, what do you think about its location? I swear it's on the same level as the Fin Gleam in Oblivion. Who would explore aimlessly through the heavily irradiated fire station, while avoiding the super giant radscorpion, and look in the corner of a bathroom stall on the second floor? I guess being one of the most bada$$ weapons in the game it's worthy of having to search for it.

I'm on my House playthrough now and Knock Knock helped me vanquish the Praetorian Guard and other Legion flunkies. I kept switching back and forth between Paciencia (for the GNR challenge) and the chainsaw (to keep Ballistic fists at bay) but Knock Knock was the finishing touch.

Dude, you gotta try the Ballistic fish (gonna leave that typo for the lol factor). It's incredibly powerful and will knock an enemy back a good 10 yards.

^

I know the feeling. I remember trying to do everything I could against the Paladins and nothing worked... until I broke out Knock Knock ; ) My favourite Melee weapon, easily, and it destroyed them in two hits each on the hardest difficulty? Maybe three? I can't remember but it was amazing :D

Love and Hate are my favourite for Unarmed, those are AWESOME too! :D

My other favourites are the Sledgehammer and Nephi's Golf Driver, but things like Oh Baby! are a bit big and other unarmed weapons typically suck for me. I hate any fist mounted weapon, they look and feel stupid to me.

Nothing like punching a Brahmin or... that other thing's head off with Love and Hate, however ; )