Should the MMO even be an option going forward?

I was talking to my friend about this today as the thought just hit me yesterday when a second friend cancelled his SWTOR account (I never had one).

Is there even a point to MMOs anymore? I see a lot of people saying they should do a Mass Effect MMO or Fallout MMO. Even porting current MMOs to the XBox, but is there really a point to this model? We have plenty of examples of co-op game play like Fable and Saints Row. Mass Effect 3 has a new Multi-player option and games like Call of Duty have been around since the 90's. Diablo 3 is coming out for the PC soon and it doesn't try to follow the MMO model though it is considered an MMO (it's really co-op play). For me, it would just be awesome to have the ability to jump into a friend's game. Instead of wandering Fallout with a companion who does nothing I'd rather have a friend who cracks safes jump online and help me with a few areas. Let me spend $60 and give me new content in a few months and I'll give $25 for it. 6 months down the road I'll move on to the new game. But this idea of trying to milk 1 million people for $15 a month to make half a billion a year should just be left to WoW. No one can ever be a WoW killer because WoW killed MMOs when it became king. That's just how I feel about it.

Am I crazy, or is the MMO market (outside of WoW) really doing that well to justify this business model anymore?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I Love MMO's.

I think MMO games are doing pretty well on the PC platform. I've seen tons of threads asking for MMO's on the consoles, but to be honest I see them coming to the next-gen consoles if anything. I would definitely play an MMO game if it were on the console, as long as it's a franchise I have interest in.

The MMO genre is actually very interesting right now. New titles, many with large budgets even, are experimenting with the free-to-play model and multiplayer narrative. I would say that the next few years will feature some serious innovations in this gaming space. It's really exciting!

I dont like MMO games. Level grinding, loot grinding, same old same old quests......

and many MMO's today go free to play soon after release. I have tried 2 MMO's City of heroes and Age of Conan. both were fun for a short while but i got bored and couldnt bring myself to play anymore. I dontget how people can play WoW for years non stop and spend 15 bucks a month on it.

Not all MMOs cost monthly to play.  Guild Wars 2 is B2P.  From what I hear it's going to be huge too.  In any case, MMOs are a totally different breed of games.  There will always be a place for MMOs.  It's just that most of them seem to fall victim to WOW.  TOR seems it's falling to that fate.  I hear tons of ppl are canceling their subs and I am one.  It just isn't as fun as WOW first was....or SWG.

I'm not a huge fan of MMO's, but Guild Wars 2 not having a monthly subscription may be my first MMO to play. I've heard there making a console version of it, not sure how that would turn out.

I think we're in the middle of a MMO crash right now. The old subscription games are desperately clinging on and anything new goes free to play almost immediately because they have trouble keeping people paying. Free to play options tend to work ok but they almost always fall into the "pay to be better than free players" model. That may seem fair on paper but it causes free people to give up and not become paid members because they realize they have to spend money to be equal. Of course not everyone will see it that way but I used to play FFXI and I've tried lots of MMOs since and I see a negative trend going on.

If you have no interest in an mmo, why care enough to post about it?

Are you talking to me? If so you're barking up the wrong tree I have plenty of interest.

I like the idea of MMOs, you know, a big world to explore with other people, however I don't like how its been implemented mostly.

WoW for example is almost 8 years old and the mechanics for that game feel old and archaic in an age where more action oriented combat plays more importance and the idea of physics being used as well.

Huge levels of grinding pigs or rats just to gain a new level to equip a new weapon is also a very archaic idea and system of play, which is why I stopped playing WoW back in 2008 and noticed how horrible the game has aged when I gave the trial a shot last year.

RDR might not be an MMO but it has aspects of one and I really enjoyed playing that game.