Should I play Oblivion first?

Just bought Skyrim today on sale.  However I also own Oblivion GOTY edition that I have had for some time, but due to other gaming interests haven't started it yet.

Should I play Oblivion first, then get into Skyrim?

Also if you say I should play Skyrim first... is the new game that much better than Oblivion that it would make me not want to play Oblivion due to "inferiority"?  Or are they both equal/similar in excellence?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

from what ive heard i think the only reason to play oblivion first would be to get more of a background on the different races\factions.  i played just a mear 20min on oblivion(playing fallout at the same time) and didnt have time for it. so  i have been playing skyrim for lil bit now and you seem to get an appropriate amount of background on all the factions\races. so i would think it isnt critical to play oblivion as skyrim is a diff. story. (i think)lol.

I HAVE HEARD PEOPLE SAY PLAYING EITHER OR FIRST DOESNT MATTER,..BOTH ARE GREAT GAMES IN THEIR OWN RIGHT

Even though every Elder Scrolls Game "technically" is a Sequel, they are each very much their "own" Game. Play Oblivion if you want to play Oblivion. Play Skyrim if you want to play Skyrim.

The "back stories" and reference that the Games make can be learned from just about any Wiki and aren't that important. Why do people ask if they should play a Game they already own? Is that difficult just to put it in and try it?

Both are absolutely outstanding games but each Elder Scrolls game is a separate story that doesn't require you to have played the previous games. You get a pretty good understanding of each race and their histories no matter which you pick.

-

Having said all that, Skyrim (in my opinion) is overall a much better experience as it's taken everything that was good about Oblivion and Fallout 3 and polished it even further. You may be disappointed if you leave Oblivion until after Skyrim but it's still an experience that is well worth having.

[quote user="LostKauz"]

Why do people ask if they should play a Game they already own? Is that difficult just to put it in and try it?

[/quote]

Very good point. : )

Each Elder Scrolls game is essentially a stand alone experience with small crossovers to the previous games. Not necessary to play Skyrim, but there are some moments as an Oblivion player that make me say "oh, cool".

id say oblivion is definatly worth playing, in any case it will make skyrim look 100x better. in probably every aspect....lol

Most of the jokes in Skyrim are at Oblivion's expense. There are some small lines uttered or books that have me laughing for the next couple minutes. But other than that, there really isn't a need to play Oblivion. It's a pretty good game though, and if you want an introduction into the series go ahead and play it. The Shivering Isles are pretty awesome.

I think... if you CAN hold out on Skyrim, it would be better. I've played games "backwards" in their sequels and it made me really disappointed, even to the point of hating the game. Oblivion was awesome and deserves to be enjoyed. I'm thinking it won't seem so great if you play Skyrim first.

Not to mention, by the time you get through Oblivion, Skyrim should be more stable, etc. lol Plus, there'll be more content online (quest help or w/e).

I think you'll be extending your entertainment experience vs reducing it.  

Kudos to you if you can do that. I don't think I'd be able to. :S

Console version of Oblivion? Skip it.. it's just not very good. Oblivion was a great game, but it needed a few mods to make it that way, the console version in my opinion was very mediocre at best. Skryim on the other hand is the exact opposite, it's great the way it comes. I would just play Skyrim.