Shall i buy this game? £49.99?

recently i have brought Omerta even tho i do like the game and the turn based combat there is not enuff depth in the game, and i shall be waiting for a update to fix and improve the game, anyway as i was reading up on Omerta in various forums this game XCOM kept coming up, so i searched for it and it looks  a very good turn based combat game, i am new to this style of game and really enjoy it, i did have a look on xbox and i see i can download it for £49.99 which seems alot i was expecting £29.99, i guess im am being impatient, i will just wait untill i can get to the shops.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

XCOM is a great game, I picked it up for i think $40 sometime around Christmas, and I've definitely gotten my money's worth.  

£49.99 does seem a bit steep given the amount of time that's passed since it was released.  It's a great game, but if you can get it for less, it's definitely worth waiting and picking it up elsewhere instead of going for the instant gratification of digital download.

He's probably talking about the on demand download price. You can find the physical game new for £20 in most shops today, I picked it up for that just after Xmas.

I brought XCOM for £25 new today I,ve been playing for a hour or 2 and I can already see its the type of game I,m going to like, also i think xbox really need to make them games on demand prices more realistic, I have been snowed in for a couple of days and I was willing to pay a bit more if I could download it but £49.99 is way to much.

[quote user="JD TheNutz"]

also i think xbox really need to make them games on demand prices more realistic... £49.99 is way to much.

[/quote]

Completely agree.  They should at the very least be in line with what the game is being sold for in retail outlets.  In reality, it should be less...there is no physical media for them to create, no distribution costs, no packaging costs, etc.  Yet those savings are not passed on to the consumer.  One of various reasons why, given the option, I will opt for a physical disk over digital download every time.

The reason why digital prices are not lower than physical product is that it would *** the retailers off, and considering companies still need physical shops for now, it's best not to do that.

I understand that...I was just saying that *in theory*, they should be lower.  In reality, though, I'd certainly not expect them to be *more* expensive than a physical copy, which it seems like often times they are.  Then you're getting less, but paying more for nothing more than a "convenience (aka instant gratification) fee".

Coverting pounds sterling to dollars; you are paying $75.98 for a game that is currently going for $34.99 in the U.S.   Someone is getting bent over the counter...

It doesn't really work that way.  You can't just do a straight conversion like that when comparing prices, but I agree, the fact remains that £49.99 is a rather unreasonable price for a game that's been out for 6 months or so, and is selling in physical form for nearly 50% less.

£49.99 is supposed to be the RRP for videogames in the UK. That's never pretty much the case, the most you'll pay is £40 new, and most places sell for between £32 to £37 depending on shop.

Also to note is that the UK price already includes sales tax (@ 20%), whereas the US price won't have that added on I imagine.

Correct US you add on the various sale taxes,  city, county, state. We don't have VAT tax. However since been out  6 months, just release prices are not cool.