Screen burn-in from HUD

I'm curious to see if this is affecting other players as well...I have a recently purchased Samsung 51" Plasma that I've been playing a lot of Minecraft on since launch, and I noticed the other day that the image of the item select boxes and the crosshair have left a ghosted image on the screen.  In a future update, I'd like to see the ability to turn off the HUD, or at least have it become mostly transparent, to help alleviate this problem.

This is the first game that I've had any sort of a ghosting or burn-in issue with on this TV.  If this has happened to you, it might be a good idea to go to this thread in the official Minecraft forums to place your vote and voice your opinion.

Discussion Info

Last updated October 7, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

[quote user="Trippul G"]Samsung 51" Plasma[/quote]

There's the problem, really. Plasmas aren't really designed with gaming in mind, thus they usually are easier to have images burned in. LCD is more suited for gaming in terms of televisions, if you choose between the two. LCD is also cheaper.

I have the same issue, I just try turning down the brightness, and also have some other images on screen, like watch a tv show after you see it ghost a little or play a different game that moves the screen around like COD

[quote user="Ruthless Tenjin"]

[quote user="Trippul G"]Samsung 51" Plasma[/quote]

There's the problem, really. Plasmas aren't really designed with gaming in mind, thus they usually are easier to have images burned in. LCD is more suited for gaming in terms of televisions, if you choose between the two. LCD is also cheaper.

[/quote]

While that may be true (though LCDs being cheaper is not necessarily so), telling people who already own Plasma TVs that LCDs are better for gaming is not terribly helpful.  I'm aware that this particular TV may not be the best for gaming, but it's great for everything else I use it for.  I just hope that if this is an issue for enough people and they make their voices heard to the devs, that maybe they can come up with a solution that will please everyone.

There is supposedly some disc or something that can help remove screen burn in, though I have not tried it or anything.

Most plasmas nowadays (mine included) have a feature built-in that is supposed to help remove latent images, in my case it's a black-to-white gradient that scrolls right-to-left across the screen repeatedly.  I've used it once to try to get rid of the Minecraft burn-in, and it's hard to tell if it's better, but it's definitely still there.  The manual says that it may need to be done more than once...we'll see.

Also, people using plasmas for gaming should check to see if their TV has a feature that will shift the screen pixels around every so often, to help prevent burn-in.  On mine, it's called Pixel Shift, I think on others it may be called Orbiter or something like that.  Make sure that's turned on and maximize its settings.  I did have it enabled, but the shift may have been too infrequent to prevent burn-in in my case.

Short of all that, try not to do multiple-hour Minecraft marathons like I did without turnig the TV off, or at least putting something else on.

And btw, to whoever downvoted my previous posts...really?  How are they "poor"?  Please, enlighten me.

Hmm, didn't know you had one built in. Still, I think researching for the disc or something might help too. Anything is worth a try and it's not very fun that it happens. My last TV did the same in a small section.

It's not just Plasma TV's - this happens on LCDs too, and even more prominently on back-lit LED TVs. Anything that is on the screen for too long, especially at a high brightness, will eventually ghost into the screen.

The ghosting will fade quickly on most modern TVs (by "quickly" I mean an hour or so) depending on what the screen displays afterwards. For example, News tickers on most 24 hour News channels will ghost in on most TVs but once you switch channels it'll disappear very quickly and is hardly noticeable - but it does happen on pretty much any TV.

I got my Samsung around the time the 360 originally launched, it's still going strong today but the ghosting/temporary burn-in is very visible after playing games like Minecraft. But it's the same on my sisters brand new LED Panasonic, too.

If your plasma is new, let it be used for around 50+ hours before playing games. You need to let it be broken in. I have a 50' panasonic plasma and play games on it now, after it being broken in, and now it doesn't get any permanent burn in.

The break-in period for plasmas is largely a myth. A plasma with 1,000 hours is basically just as susceptible to burn in as a plasma with 10 hours.

One thing that will help a lot is to turn your TV brightness down when gaming. The brighter the image the more likely it is to get burned in. You can adjust the gamma in Minecraft to compensate a little.

You can also keep your cable/satellite box going and just switch to that input every half hour or so. Leave it for a minute or two while you go get a drink/ take a wizz/ fix a sandwich.  

And pixel shift is good, but the shifting of the pixels is still limited to a certain range, so a 3 hour Minecraft session is still likely to cause burn-in.

i thought this old problem was a thing of the past on new tvs and monitors.