Saints Row

Thinking about getting saints row 3, looks really fun along with gears,skyrim,and battlefield. But the prob is ive heard mixed feelings from people about the saints row games. Are they good and do you guys recommend getting the first 2 to understand the story? Need some games to keep me occupied till then. Thanks.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

ive only played the 2nd game but its really fun its a bit like GTA san andreas in gameplay but its definitely on a whole other level in terms of how crazy the game is definitely worth it.

Okay cool thanks.

The first Saints Row was very much a GTA clone. It was a good game, but there wasn't much to differentiate it from similar games.

The second however really forged its own path, helped by the fact that GTA had taken a more "realistic" approach. It took the framework of the first and then built a lot more on top. Of course it suffers from the usual sandbox game problems, but has the advantage you can play through in co-op if you so desire.

As far as the story is concerned, it's not exactly great writing or even very important other than as an excuse to blow things up and so while I'm sure the games will make reference to things which happened in earlier games I doubt it will detract too much if you haven't played the earlier games. Still they're both worth playing, though I expect the first feels quite dated by now.

The first two games aren't essential to play the third one. For the most part the plot is just a backdrop. It won't tax your mind and it's really only a method of convincing you to go and destroy some things, often with very little encouragement. The third game seems to be going even further with the craziness than the second, which is saying something! You could pick up both games for very little now, but the huge gap between the story of the first and second is a little disjointed. The third's plot will be just as easy to follow even if you didn't play the first two games.

[quote user="UseYourIlusion"]

The first Saints Row was very much a GTA clone. It was a good game, but there wasn't much to differentiate it from similar games.

[/quote]

Except for the fact it was way better. It took the sand box game play style used in GTA and just made a much better and more fun game.

[quote user="UseYourIlusion"] 
The second however really forged its own path, helped by the fact that GTA had taken a more "realistic" approach. It took the framework of the first and then built a lot more on top. Of course it suffers from the usual sandbox game problems, but has the advantage you can play through in co-op if you so desire.

As far as the story is concerned, it's not exactly great writing or even very important other than as an excuse to blow things up and so while I'm sure the games will make reference to things which happened in earlier games I doubt it will detract too much if you haven't played the earlier games. Still they're both worth playing, though I expect the first feels quite dated by now.

[/quote]
The first only feels dated in that there is no Co-op campaign. There is a story that ties the two together, and 1 still has a slam dunk ending. While 2 does fill in the story from the first at the beginning, to really get that feeling of revenge when doing the secret mission you really should play the first one. 

someone on forums told me that SR3 is pretty much single player and online is only CO-OP... Is that true?, cuz if it is, its not getting purchased by me and will be a terrible idea.

I believe that there will only be SP and co-op, no MP in Saints Row: The Third.  I usually prefer MP games, but honestly, both of the first two Saints Row games had some pretty notable issues with MP - namely the ability to stay in a match.  I have hundreds of hours into SR:2 and without fail, when I go into MP, I end up freezing up and/or getting disconnected at least once or twice per hour...and that's on a good day!  Same thing happens to the others with whom I play, so it can be pretty frustrating when you're trying to play one of the team MP games.

[quote user="Enfarine"]

I believe that there will only be SP and co-op, no MP in Saints Row: The Third.  I usually prefer MP games, but honestly, both of the first two Saints Row games had some pretty notable issues with MP - namely the ability to stay in a match.  I have hundreds of hours into SR:2 and without fail, when I go into MP, I end up freezing up and/or getting disconnected at least once or twice per hour...and that's on a good day!  Same thing happens to the others with whom I play, so it can be pretty frustrating when you're trying to play one of the team MP games.

[/quote]thats bad that they cant fix those issues.....I loved the MP matches (SR1) especially protect the pimp....This is very bad news

i think you can buy the first 2 for like 20 bucks its worth it man

You can get both for 20 bucks in that Platinum Games Box. I say it's a good deal seeing as both games are pretty fun.

Anyways, to answer the original question, the story sort of takes the back seat in the series, but it's there. I paid attention to it and, in fact, think it's pretty cool, but it isn't necessary to enjoy the sequels. Sure, the characters will reference something from the past games, but isn't anything huge.